awful tunrtable buzz/hum

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
ghey i just bought a real old tunrtable off ebay for really cheap... the thing hums like crazy... its not the needle, or the records, or anything else... its the table beacause when the coonection is active thats when it starts fucin up.. the hum is there when the record is not playing... what should i do.. i was reaserching the net and people talked about ground loops and other shit... and power conditioners etc.. i dont know what will work... i never had problem with my old table but it was also newer and i was using it with diffrent equipment....does age have to do with it??? i plug my table via phono plugs to my mpc 4000 then the mpc goes out to my 828mkII card.. any suggestions??

Elgen

The Moose With The Most.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
im interested in this too, cos i got a stanton str8-60 and it buzzes when the needles down, but my tech doesnt. i switched there lines to make sure it wasnt the mixer channels, and it wasnt

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Is it grounded?

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Yea i had a Problem Not 2 Long Ago But it was Cuz Mine wasint Grounded Properly

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah the first thing - is it grounded? If so, it could possibly be those little connectors inside the arm where the headshell goes in. Try cleaning in there with a qtip and maybe Windex (be careful). If not that either, then maybe it's the table itself that's fucked up since you say it's an old one.

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Grounded

There should be a wire coming from the turntable, and a screw on the back of your mixer. That grounds the turntable and should cut the hum/hiss.

ghostmusic

ill o.g.
If it's grounded and the conections are clean it's probably one of two things:
The output wire itself is bad and is picking up noise in the signal: or the motors on some old turntables just hum after a while due to age. Usally you can get a way with listening but sampling is really a problem. And the truth is it would just be easier and cost effective to judt get another turntable.

C

Copenhagen

Like everyone else wrote, check to see that the little metal/copper line is connected between your ground socket on the turntable and on your mixer or amp (whichever the turntable is connected to). If that doesn't help. try panning your speakers, first all the way to the left, and then all the way to the right. If the hum/hizz is only in one side, it is most likely the phono cable that has been "stretched" or gone a bit out of it's socket (usually it is only one side that has been "stretched" but both can occur too) . Usually, it is just after the cable has gone inside the turntable, so unless you want to risk ruining it more by opening it etc, go to a professional. That's my 2 cents.

Good luck Holmz...nothing is worse than new gear that doesn't work.

The-Shadow

Ego Sum Vox Manus Deus
ill o.g.
Holmz, you should have a grounding screw on the back of your 4000. Run the grounding wire from the turntable to that screw on the back of the unit and you should be straight.

ill o.g.
You sound like you have a bad ground. You could try to get a hum eliminator. It connects in between the source of the hum and the output. It could work.

members online

No members online now.