Balancing Act

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
I'm working a corporate job, about 45-50 hours a week. Just wondering how do you guys go about balancing/finding avenues to promote your music while working? My mentality about this whole music thing was that I do it as a side-thing/hobby while I work a regular stable job, I guess that mostly stems from my dad preaching that the whole time I was going through high school and college. But talking to a close friend last night kind of changed my perspective on it all. There's no harm in promoting something you love to do and want to share with others. If a breakthrough happens, then great, but I'm not banking on that to pay bills and keep me full. Just casting my reel out in the ocean and seeing what comes up.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's a good question.

Right now I'm not working a full time job because I do freelance work instead, but the last time I was in an office I didn't find much time to do my beats as well. Even though it was just a hobby, I was just too tired. By the time the weekend would come, I was either busy doing stuff or tired enough that I would spend most of my time relaxing.

If you're looking to make music full time, then that's a different story. It would require a lot of discipline I would imagine, and lots of time management.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Matthew 11:12 says "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force."

Won't get into the literal meaning and interpretation of that, but on another level, I use this as motivation. What ever u want in life, u have to forcefully take it, because there is going to be a million other things forcefully opposing you. Everything and everybody is vying for your time...your job, family, friends, t.v., salesmen, sleep.
By forcefully taking it, I mean consciously deciding what are your priorities, put them in their place, and make time to do what you truly want to do. Schedule it in just like u have a schedule at work. If u work 8 hrs at a job (not a career which u have a passion for), schedule at least 4 hours to work on what your ultimate goal is. If u commute great distances to work, listen to audio books or tutorials or read manuals or books if you are traveling by mass transit. You literally have to steal time for yourself.

Another thing, most of the books I read about people working in a field in which they had a calling to work in, and are successful , most started off not getting paid monetarily. What they got was tons of practice and experience, then through time the money came. Examples are Freddie Roach, legendary boxing trainer who started training boxers after a lack luster career of his own ended, and in the middle of a downward spiral in life. He took other jobs to pay the bills, but was miserable. He went back to the gym he used to train in and decided to start helping boxers who weren't getting any attention. For free. For years.

The list goes on. Go research how The Beatles,Bill Gates and others got their 10,000 hours of practice in. It many many hours doing things they were not getting paid for, but they loved what they were doing , so they kept going.

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
Lol I know what you mean Fade. Right when I get home I just want to pretty much do nothing. Sometimes when I start to work on a beat after work, I just can't do it cuz I'm mentally drained from the day. Beat making is something that requires a lot of focus and attention to do especially if you have a self-standard of wanting to put out material that you are proud of.

Not sure if I portrayed it properly, but my bottom line question was how do you guys go about promoting yourself/connecting with artists efficiently when working a 45-50 hr/week job? Actionable things. The internet is the first thing that comes to mind, but that's probably the case for every single person in this situation, making it difficult to stand out and actually be recognized/connect with artists.