Basic Sampling Setup

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey I've been looking into buyin some hip hop production equipment (no more using only reason 3 and mp3s).... what do you suggest for sampling vinyl - heres what I m thinkin of so far (i heard the s950 and sp1200 are a good combo but i like the mpc)

1. MPC2000XL
2. Technics SL 1200 MK5 (not MK2 cuz imma DJ)
3. Pro Tools (Windows)
4. Reason 3 + Keyboard (for bass and additional melody)
5. DJ Mixer

what else should i get? if i owned all of this stuff would it work together or do i need to buy something else (such as a main mixer or something). thanks for readin

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Do you have a decent sound card/interface? if not the converters on a stock sound card ain't going the give you great quality when you track out from the MPC. Even a cheap USB interface would be better.

NW

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
Hey I've been looking into buyin some hip hop production equipment (no more using only reason 3 and mp3s).... what do you suggest for sampling vinyl - heres what I m thinkin of so far (i heard the s950 and sp1200 are a good combo but i like the mpc)

1. MPC2000XL
3. Pro Tools (Windows)
5. DJ Mixer

what else should i get? if i owned all of this stuff would it work together or do i need to buy something else (such as a main mixer or something). thanks for readin

Man, here goes another debate. Basically go to your local pro audio store and get familiar with the different things you are looking to get. What ever you feel comfortable with, then maybe you should roll with it. Nobody can tell you what you're going to be comfortable with. It's all on you...

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What about the SL-1200 Mk2 can't you DJ with?

More deejays use it that just about any other turntable. I'd suggest you look at what real DJs usually have in their labs... most likely a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 Turntable.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
What about the SL-1200 Mk2 can't you DJ with?

More deejays use it that just about any other turntable. I'd suggest you look at what real DJs usually have in their labs... most likely a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 Turntable.

Yeah, defenetly the mk2, the mk5's extra's ain't that special at all for what you pay extra MK2 is still one of the most used turntables by dj's even by turntablists.
Why not mk2 and mpc 1000? The os 3 is defenetly a plus if you are used to reason like grid edit.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
pro tools is optional i dont own it yet and i dont wanna pay money for some program that i am not even gonna use... i ll c on tht

and as far as mpc1000 - i feel safe stickin to the mpc2000xl cuz iv seen so many good producers using it or the mpc3000 but i know the 4000 is good (out of my price range) and the mpc60 is wht premo uses (sells for the same as 2000xl on ebay so why not upgrade?). yeah so thats my reason why i wouldnt think of goin with the mpc1000 - i dont wanna get a hardware setup to just find out that my pc setup did the same exact stuff easier.

O

OBERHEIM MA1000

1. MPC2000XL
3. Pro Tools (Windows)
5. DJ Mixer

well it all depends on your budget,how much are you willing to spend?

now for a decent budget at around say $4-6 k you could have a nice little setup going

or even less.

1.MPC2000:ebay for lets say $600-800 (Not XL but just as good)

2.MBOX 2:about $500 for the usb version but don't get it unless you got a good pc and it comes with protools and extras i think

3.Technics SL1200 with a Vestex PMC for about $800 roughly

5.any soundmodule or keyboard you'd need.

But if your going to get reason I'd just stick with the technics get a turntable preamp and a delta 1010 for a soundcard unless your gonna be scratching and stuff.And if you have Recyle which is only like 200 bucks more you'll be set.

T

The Bastard

1. MPC2000XL
3. Pro Tools (Windows)
5. DJ Mixer

basically thats all ull ever need.

yeah itd all work together i dont know whuchu mean by a main mixer but if u wanna have multiple things bein routed to ur sound card, like yur turntables dj mixer ,and any other equipment u might add later on like mics,sound modules,vcr audio. then yeah ud need a pro audio mixer .but eveything u mentioned is enuff to kick u off for sure.u really dont even need reason,or the dj mixer right away. the protools,the turntable and the mpc is enuff to make u go from rags to riches. u can just hook yurtable straight into yur mpc do al lyur sampling and editting in the mpc and record ur beats onto pro tools.only other key thing is the soundcard like people mentioned , but if yur buyin protools le , the shit comes wit the soundcard anyway thats whut i assume u meant by gettin pro tools. if u get pro tools mpowered ull have to by an m audio soundcard

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
as of right now dont even get at tech 1200, get a decent tuntalbe for like 100 that you can attach a good a good needle and get a decent mixer for like 200. That right there is a cost of a 1200 alone. Next if you do deicde on a 16 track many of the current ones have USB transfer which lets you get yoru music on computer much faster. As far as the MPC get as many options as you want know. You usually get a better deal buying it all boxed up as opposed to buying the 8 out board and the effects board later. The 8 outs is a must, you can go without the effects board as it is so so, but I have heard some heat with it, so people can deff freak it.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
- i dont wanna get a hardware setup to just find out that my pc setup did the same exact stuff easier.

I have a mpc1000 and luv it, but my suggestion would be to start slow before you go bustin the bank. Get a turntable (any kind), a soundCard(if you dont already have one), and any type of software that records, cubase, cakewalk. etc... Then put your chopped up samples in reason and work with that for a while. Then make your decision if you want to go the hardware route. I think you'll be cool with reason.

DJ Udo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I agree with robb... You gotta get what works for you... definately try things out in your local pro audio shop. Find someone knowledgeable who cangive you some ideas, but get the gear that fits your style. It ain't all about the tools. You can make some ill-azz beats with limitied tools... Like two turntables... what ever tool you use... master it and get the most out of it.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for all the feedback and responses... iv decided to hold off a bit by initially saving up for a technics sl 1200 mk2 becuz i bought a usb mixer to dj local indian parties (lame but profitable). After I get that I'll see if I want to gp through the hardware route or not. If I do I'll by the mpc2000xl next and see from there. Thanks for all the feedback.

T

The Bastard

thanks for all the feedback and responses... iv decided to hold off a bit by initially saving up for a technics sl 1200 mk2 becuz i bought a usb mixer to dj local indian parties (lame but profitable). After I get that I'll see if I want to gp through the hardware route or not. If I do I'll by the mpc2000xl next and see from there. Thanks for all the feedback.

whut goes on at theese indian parties? are they native american indians? or indians from india?

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
indians from india i bump bhangra music (like what jay did with punjabi mc the track called beware of the boys). shits good to party to and indian djs overcharge like a bitch. as soon as i get 400 bucks im gonna get speakers and charge 700 per night (like 7-2). The guy who did it at the temple this year (who completely sucked ass) got payed 2 grand. I was like fuuuckkk! lol. serious cash if you rnt trying to milk the people u dj for. esp cuz im 16 i got make my name heard. holla at me if u want some good bhangra joints to sample i have billions of em. im actually puttin up a site similiar to albumbase just for that type of music cuz i have so much. hopin to make enough money thru that this summer to buy a turntable or whatever. Peace

33LaRge

ill o.g.
I would suggest the Mpc2000Xl with a digital mixer to keep things more basic and take the computer out of the setup and use a Moog or something for bass and sounds or even a microkorg. Im getting away from reason and the computer myself my setup is hopefully gonna be something like an Ensoniq asr-x, Numark TTusb, Vestax mixer, Yamaha Ms20's, Akai s950 and my midi controller