Bass guitar sounds(calling god)

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Remember those things call live instruments?

I just got this bass guitar and I'm waiting to start my lesson but in the mean time I've been wanting play a few notes in some of my beats, but the guitar has a terrible clanging sound and the string vibrate out of control if I pluck them, I know a little aobut notes from a guitar I already got. But this thing sounds terrible, I tried compression and every other thing I could think of to control this thing

1. How do you elimate the string clatter

2.What are some of the basic of EQ this thing to get a decent sound

the bass is a 6 string Johnson with a bolted neck that was like $500 to give you a idea of the quality

Its amped thru my roland 1680 and i tired it thru my tascam 788 with the same results.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
try changing the strings. it could also be that the bass is just a peice of shit.(no offense, just when they are real shitty, they sound crappy like that)

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
maybe you should just get a bass amp and mike it.

how old is it? maybe you need a neck adjustment, or the frets need filing. and or like junky said "change the strings"

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Wells the bass is brand new, so i know that not the problem. I think it has to do with the EQing

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
then maybe you should try amping it through something else thats more within its frequency range.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I prefer the bass amp, from what I've heard on having bassplayers in the studio.But I think the problem lies with the strings, maybe try some different strings???

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
Here's an idea

Why don't you send us some samples and we'll see what we can do with them:D

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Re: Here's an idea

Originally posted by Kevin A
Why don't you send us some samples and we'll see what we can do with them:D

If I could post something, I would be in the competions and all over the showcase, But if you tell me how in very very lamemans term how to I will. I'm not a computer nerd, I dont even know how to post an avatar.

My problem is this, the only computer I have internet acces to is at work, you have to have a adminstrator password to download any programs, so I can't download MusicMacth. My laptop is kinda old and doesn't have a CD Rom and is not hooked up for internet. So what can I do. I got my stuff on Disc. I could record and press a disc with a clangy sounding bass sound and put it on disc but what could I do from there.

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
YO I WENT AND TRADED THE BASS IN AND GOT AN LIL MORE EXSPESIVE ONE. IT SOUND SO DAMN GOOD, ALSO I GOT A 4 STRING INSTEAD OF A 6 WHICH HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE PLAYING AND NOTES. IF YOU ANY OF YOU EVERY WANNA BUY A BASS GET A 4 STRING PERCESSION BASS AS YOUR FIRST ONE.

hookiefree

Beat Monster
ill o.g.
Hey homie, u probably aren't fretting the notes right. U have to put ur finger right behind the bar to get a proper sounding note. The idea is to make the point of contact for the string be the bar and not so much the wood otherwise the string will just vibrate on the fret.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
To add to what Hook said you also want to forget about compression on the bass taking the odd and even harmonics at the end you will want to Roll off the Bass in the sample you make at a Frequ around 45 or so hZ standards say 70 you can experiment...this is probably what you are talking about, real bass samples have a tendency to be kind of harsh if you are like Hook said not playing the note cleanly, but most definitely you might need to use your EQ on the sample and then if you want you can filter it......also another thing to do to the bass sample is truncate it....so you don't have unnecessary decay and phase cancellation.

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah the problem wasnt my frets ,it was how I was plucking the strings.
On a guitar you stroke them, from the side, on a bass you pluck form the top. but also the bass was crampy to. I straight now tho,

Thanks everybody.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Didn't venture on this forum portion in a while.

you have a six string bass?

anyway... roll off properly, and I would recommend direct in-lining the bass into your mixer and record that way, rather than miking it. Also a bass sans-amp may help when you direct inline.

Sincerely,
God

GhostChamberz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 128
Try boosting around 60Hz to add more body. Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300Hz.If more presence is needed, boost around 6kHz.

50-100Hz Adds bottom end
100-250Hz Adds roundness
250-800Hz Muddiness Area
800-1kHz Adds beef to small speakers
1-6kHz Adds presence
6-8kHz Adds high-end presence
8-12kHz Adds hiss

Hope that helps a little