Bass

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Sampling and having no ear for hearing pitches to find out the keys of songs is the worst combination when you want to add a bass line to your tracks. I know that you can filter the bass out of the sample and then mess with it from there, but it's still limited in terms of the notes you can use (unless there is some way of taking one bass note from a sample and spreading it chromatically over all the keys). Some samples don't even have a bass line. Sometimes I'll just boost the low end of the sample to just help cover the empty feeling of the track, but it still isn't the same as creating your own bass line to give your track the groove that you want. Is there any way around all this?

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nope....one thing you could try is googling the sheet music for said sample or throwing a tuner plug in on the track and try figuring out from there though trial and error.

and there is always the music theory class at the local community college, thats a little investment that will give you a lil jump on some of the other "Producers" out there.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
over the years, ive learned to just play long bassline pieces... short ones work also... try turnin ur music up a lil, and close the door while ur in another room and listen to it.. i usedta do that when i had less experience makin the bassline.

da relic

Atom_Crewz

ill o.g.
mapping

"(unless there is some way of taking one bass note from a sample and spreading it chromatically over all the keys)"
Use a wave editor to pull the bassnote, save that file, then map it to the keys.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Well if your sampling and thats what your going for, there are still options. You can always dig loops of basslines that might fit over your existing chops/drums/etc., or you can take that bass loop and chop it to make it fit more appropriately.

Even if your not classically trained aurally to hear pitches and notes I guarantee your ears are smart enough to figure it out after enough noodling around on the pads in 16 levels or using the keyboard with a bass sound mapped out. When your starting out its just a matter of trial and error. You gotta tear something down to rebuild it ya know.

JehfreeBeats

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I suggest just put ur sample on loop (already chopped melody), take out the drums, so its just the sample playing. And then open up your bass patch, and turn it up so u can hear it stand out in the mix, and just press keys on your midi, until you hear the notes that are matching those of the sample. You'll know which ones fit and which ones don't fit, just use your air. It takes A LOT of time though. lol

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Ive found that when trying to work out the notes its easier using a piano or something and just keep pressing all the keys at the high end until it sounds right. I think its harder to hear if you have the right key if your using a bass patch, once youve worked it out with keys just swap it for bass.