basslines vs melody

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Whattup?
I'm no music theorist, but I think a bassline depends on whatever your creative spirits lead it to. You could have a raw beat that you end up adding a sick bassline to or you could start with a melody that you add a baseline to that follows with your kicks, snares and hats. I think it's all related to the "sound" that you develop as a producer

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
your can any of those methods you mention when adding basslines. most important thing is that your basslines are in the correct key. as far as the purpose of basslines, as wizdom said, it's adds a low end to your music, thus creating balance amongst the other sounds in your record so your music doesnt sound flat and dry.

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
It depends on what type of track you're making. Sometimes a track doesn't even need a bassline. For example, Prince - "When Doves Cry" that initially supposed to have a bassline but prince decided to take it out and added a melody to it instead and it become a hit. And also, sometimes the bassline makes the melody such as the classic 112 "Only You" Remix. There isn't much in the beat besides the drums and the bass and to this day it still gets the crowd moving. So it all depends on what type of track you're really making. In my opinion..... I just think if you have something catchy and if it fits, then u got a hott track.

Young Qyu

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i always make sure my bass sound right with the kick rhythm. remember, short velocity on bass note add a harder sound, longer ones give the warmer feeling. that doesnt apply to everything, but it helps when you get stuck. don't ever let the bass clash with anything in the beat and make sure its not overemphasized.

T

The Bastard

bassline would win in a fight but the bitches love melody better

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
^^^^ lol, nice analogy...

Like most people said, there is no rules in hip hop...

Listen to "Hip Hop" by Dead Prez and then, listen to some Pharrel..., like and then some Jim Jones "We Fly High" (weak lyrics, but tight beat...) and then some Kanye...

Get it? They all use the bass in different ways.

buffalony

ill o.g.
Play what sounds right to you.

Normally use the Bass like glue between drums and *name an instrument*

Bass does melody to.

wiki the bass guitar.

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, I agree with Kurtisrich. It all depends onm your feel a t that time. If you want to make your track bump then follow that kick drum and if you want it to have a great feel or groove play with it a bit. Just remember that you need to play the correct note. I done heard some track were the bassline is not even in the right key. Just play with it until your satisfied.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
everyone is on point with their posts, but I was once told by someone that produces hip hop for some big names, if you are doing anything remotely close or to be interpreted as hip hop or genre for urban the Bassline and drums must stick and carry the song thruout and the bassline should be prominent and in most cases follow the melody and slightly vary from it...listen to a real live bassplayer for clues.... for the diggers it should be easy to figure it out any of the old records the bassline is there for soul n RnB....you got 808's? or a deep synth lead? the bassline becomes more of an option....if anyone wants a tip to duck the bass if you don't use the frequency separation to keep it out of the way of the kick hit me up I have a neat trick, you can use with your sideband.

Mikemaster G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey man
Mainly you need both to make your beat just right
The way I make my beats(you will shortly listen to them in the showcase forum soon)
is that I figure out the melody and then match the basslines with it to create a hard, bangin' song or a soft, rhythmic song
Either way you definitely need both

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I honestly think a good bassline is the hardest part of producing. Sometimes leaving it simple sounds good, like when you just follow the kick, but I like when the bass creates its own melody.......Everyone here is pretty on point though, you don't have to have a bass line, it's your art do what you want with it......

members online