basslines

divineaspex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
How do you guys go about making your basslines? Is it one of the first things you do, or do you do it after you've got the rest of the beat put together? Do you usually use bass from the sample, or do you have a special program/patch/module/sound that you like to use in particular? I'm not very good with basslines, so I'm just wondering.

Schizo-Manic

b33lz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I lay the bass after I do the drums or vice versa then apply the samples it depends on the mood, I usually hum out the bassline. Sometimes I might filter out a bassline if it sounds dope most of the time I just create my own from scratch

divineaspex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
wow, humming my basslines was absolutely the best advice i could have received, something so simple can be so helpful.

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
It really depends on how you want to use the bass in your song, imo. i know this sounds silly. but dependin how the bass fits in ur song will determine when u do it. if u want a bass melody, u start with the bass and build from there. or if you want your keys to b the focus, simply play the root note. want to emphasise the bass, try puttin it in time with the kicks. i know this has all been said b4, so sorry for repeatin it.
it really depends on how you want the abss to go

or alternatively, do what i do. have a friend who is an awesome bass player and ask for his advice on things, :g:

hope i provided some help in some form here

O

Omicron

I almost always do drums first, then bass. Most of my basslines are used by playing around with the Matrix in Reason and tying and untying some notes and removing others. As everyone here has stated already though,,everyone has their own taste. It's just for me that running a bass synth through the Matrix and toying with it (sometimes for hours) seems to be the easiest way for me.