Be Careful With Your Beat Cds

30CRATES

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 22
there was a time when i used to put like 10 or more beats on a cd and give them to prospective artists however i found myself getting played on quite a few occasions. any cat with pro tools or any other wav editing program can easily dissect a joint off a cd and use it without u getting any credit or cash. if cats want to holla at me for tracks, they can come thru and listen to as many as they want however, they need to leave a deposit before anything gets burned to cd. this way i know you are serious about doing the joint. nowadays, alot of cats be on some bullshit when it comes to that scrilla!!!! everybody want something for free. i might give away 1 or 2 semi hot 2 tracked joints, but the hot shit that's tracked, no sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
30CRATES said:
there was a time when i used to put like 10 or more beats on a cd and give them to prospective artists however i found myself getting played on quite a few occasions. any cat with pro tools or any other wav editing program can easily dissect a joint off a cd and use it without u getting any credit or cash. if cats want to holla at me for tracks, they can come thru and listen to as many as they want however, they need to leave a deposit before anything gets burned to cd. this way i know you are serious about doing the joint. nowadays, alot of cats be on some bullshit when it comes to that scrilla!!!! everybody want something for free. i might give away 1 or 2 semi hot 2 tracked joints, but the hot shit that's tracked, no sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#The only problem with that in this industry you're gonna run into people on-the-go that might have the time to come thru and listen to your joints, no matter how hot they may be. There's a guy on here called Nomics, I think the way that he tags his beats might be what you're looking for, but in a lot of situations such as industry conventions and stuff like that, it benefits you to get that music in the right hands.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Policemen run the risk of being killed
firemen run the risk of being burned
getting a piece of new ass you run the risk of getting aids

being a producer that wants to make it in this game you run the risk of being jacked, vocal tags are sort of passe, I used to think back in the day, you run into enuff heads thats played like the big boys have beat cd's wit full vocals, fully orchestrated and songs....putting a tag in your beat 1.
protects you in no way at all...(trust me I have used tags and still do from time to time)
first things first....in a legal sense anything you pass out becomes public domain...meaning anyone can sample it, replay it etc.......always protect your work with the investment if you consider yourself in this for business....copyright your concepts and beat cd's, this is the most valuable thing you can do.....even if it got stolen its not a guarantee you could win but if things rise to that level its one of the first questions a lawyer will ask you, son is your music copywritten? ....not if you had vocal tag in the song...more than likely if it gets jacked they gonna replay it or sample something in that loop or song without a tag...

thats just my thoughts and I was tagging beats awhile ago...but running into more and more people that want hear the music without that....

Just my thoughts you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with....

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
my solution that i might put into action is to get a password protected page on my website with all my beats on it. only after i know they are serious/they leave a deposit will i gove them access to that website. then they can hear the beats in streaming form. to be honest, i think beat cd's might become passe because we can just have "beat websites" now...stream them in less than stellar quality so you get your point across. if someone rips the beat off the page, its still not in top quality, and theyll be looping a shitty mp3. they got those cd business cards now...maybe start using those to add links and info about you.

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
jmaafia said:
my solution that i might put into action is to get a password protected page on my website with all my beats on it. only after i know they are serious/they leave a deposit will i gove them access to that website. then they can hear the beats in streaming form. to be honest, i think beat cd's might become passe because we can just have "beat websites" now...stream them in less than stellar quality so you get your point across. if someone rips the beat off the page, its still not in top quality, and theyll be looping a shitty mp3. they got those cd business cards now...maybe start using those to add links and info about you.

yeah beat websites are cool, but i dont think they could ever replace, meeting and greeting people in the streets and networking.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
jmaafia said:
my solution that i might put into action is to get a password protected page on my website with all my beats on it. only after i know they are serious/they leave a deposit will i gove them access to that website. then they can hear the beats in streaming form.
Yeah that's a good idea, you can probably make it so that you know what they listened to. I've never tried it, but just allowing access to a certain section is simple enough.

PHV

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey, I'm as white as they come and don't have the voice to do justice to a good beat. What do you suggest for me? Hire someone?

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
At the end of the day there is always more beats to be made; and if the jacked beat ends up getting some play could work out for the best for some exposure. You only live once no sense in worrying about it imo. Beats can get jacked tag or no tag if someone wants it they'll do it. PZ

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
PHV said:
Hey, I'm as white as they come and don't have the voice to do justice to a good beat. What do you suggest for me? Hire someone?

usualy when i give away beats, its poor crappy quality, like 64kbps mp3. nobody will make a major product from that. they can listen to quality version at my lab or get it after we ve decided to make a track together

drebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
30CRATES said:

Yo I feel you that. I done got robbed quite a few times!