Beat Blocked

Corpz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo i havnt done any respectable shit in like a month and a half maybe more..... at 1st it started cuz i was in the studio alot in sessions that had nothing 2 do with me and i never had time 2 work on more beats but now ive had the past 2 weekends to myself and i feel like ive never made a beat b4.....this fuckin sucks!!!.....ive made like 7 or 8 beats and ive scrapped em cuz it dont equal the quality of any of my other shit... any advice on gettin over a nasty slump?

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Shit homie, just go with the flow... I been in a bad ass slump myself... Of course I kinda stepped away from makin the beats as serious as I used to but I know what u mean... I think the best thing to do is stay active, for me that was always a big one.. Go do shit, see a movie, go to the gym, hit the heavy bag, all sorts of shit... A beat block is pretty much a clog in your brain from your over excessive making of beats, my definiton atleast... Whenever I make alot of beats within a time period they start to sound the same and I always break away from that, therefore listening to the voice in my head telling me it sounds like the last beat... Everyone's probably different but that's my problem, as of right now atleast... But yeah, stay active, do things that will cause you to get inspired and take as much time away from making beats as u need, It will come back, trust me...

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah I never understand why I make a dope-ass beat one minute and then the next beat is not even CLOSE to being that level. I think it's just ears playing tricks on you after awhile. But I don't think no producer is consistent. Look at Dr. Dre and how he's fallen off around 2002-2004....look at Rza after 97...it's just not the same.

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
When that happens to me I ignore the music-making for a while and focus on something else, like a book or I get out of my dungeon and actually interact with other human beings.
Its strange but when I come back to it, its like all the things that I have learn't before about producing have settled in and I become a little more fluid and the music sounds a little better.

DJ Combz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I think it happens to all beat makers at one time or another, All I do is just take a break and do some thing else for a bit then come back fresh.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Ur beat block will go away as soon as u realise there are more important things in life then music,
your creativiy is blocked casue ur thinking about it to much instead of just letting the natural process flow, sometimes its good just to take a break maybe this is a sign that u need to look at other things in life also

Personally i work on the 2 on 2 off method, i will make tracks for 2 weeks , then for another 2 weeks i wont touch or think about producing
And for each on period i will switch up, so one 2 week period i will be doing sample based,beats the other composition based beats. Since sampling and composin are differnt skill sets, this method keeps me fresh....

what ever u decidedu just gotta make sure u relax and realise its not the end of the world. Casue when u focus to hard u will just fustrate ur self

class...

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
when im beat blocked i stop makin' beats for like a week or two.

Cuz personally i get my creativity from life experience.

Sometimes i gotta stop listening to my own shit, n' just be a normal muhfucka. Hit the clubs up, go on dates, n' get drunk wit my niggas.

cuz right now im not necessarily beat blocked, but my creative juices need to re-charge.

I made over 100 beats this summer, so i deserve a break.

anotha thing that may cause beat blocking is when u make a beat so hot that u think there is no possibly way to top it. And u listen to it over 50 times. That'll fuck u up cuz u always tryin' to top that one beat when u shouldnt be lookin' back. Who cares if which one is hotter right now, just stack beats.

stjoeben

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man get you a new sample cd, or cop some new vinyl. New sounds usually bring new inspiration. Get (or do) something new. .................just my 2 centz

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Finding new samples, digging or new sounds, making new drumkits. These are sure fire remedies for a beat block.