Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
@ Sucio :"PE's music had nothing to do with swag or bravado" > I disagree on that.

They included lots of "bravado" elements even on political tracks. Remember "Give it Up"? "Louder then a bomb"? ............and What about "Miuzi Weighs a Ton"? It's all about bragging rights.

@ DP : Flavor might be a sell-out , I was really referring to PE in general.

His music had nothing to do with hot chicks.

(ie: see "Fight the Power", "911 is a joke", and/or "By the time I get to Arizona").

PE's music had nothing to do with swag or bravado but more geared towards civil rights and civil liberties, so I don't think it's a good comparison..

I bet you Chuck D was dancing with hot chicks after shooting the videos, though.

It's not about selling out, but becoming relevant and finding a formula that works and using that formula as long as the success lasts. Mr. Buffet explains it as well.

And a lot of people want to be like Jay-Z, now..not because of just the music, but because of the success. His success isn't just putting out records, anymore.

pingpong

ill o.g.
I actually had a DJ Mixtape that I put together years ago and had the entire mix jacked by some guy who felt like putting his voice tags in. Hooray!

QuietComposer

QuietComposer
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Copyright papers

Beat Jacking is a serious problem, no doubt. That just proves that how lazy someone really is, and they don't take the time and energy to make their own beats. So, for any track that I really like and I know someone wants to use it, I just copyright the beat and let it do what it do.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
@ Sucio :"PE's music had nothing to do with swag or bravado" > I disagree on that.

They included lots of "bravado" elements even on political tracks. Remember "Give it Up"? "Louder then a bomb"? ............and What about "Miuzi Weighs a Ton"? It's all about bragging rights.

@ DP : Flavor might be a sell-out , I was really referring to PE in general.

But the content wasn't really the same...the overall theme was simliar, but it wasn't like Big Daddy Kane swag....

But you did make a point about the swag/bravado....

But yeah...copyright your music before someone does it for you.

TEKNODROME

ill o.g.
I have actually had a beat jacked and it ended up on TV. That was the beat that Queen used on the DP record.

But honestly, my approach is two fold.

#1 Most of my music is registered with ASCAP so they track it anywhere. If someone uses my stuff they will know. In turn I will know.

#2 I am totally unknown, so honestly if someone actually does jack one of my beats its a paycheck for me. And for the most part if someone has no money and needs a beat I will probably just let them use it assuming they are talented and will do something with it. If they ASK FIRST. If they just jack it, then its on!

Definitely agree on this note. If their talented and ask it's definitely on. I found a few good artists that mesh with my style.