Beat representin?

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What up Illmuzik fam?

Here's the situation. I know this kid who makes sick ass beats. He asked me to keep a look out for some sick ass Mc's to get down on his tracks. I have a good ear like most of on us here think we do when it comes to beats & rhymes. You know A&R type shit.

My concern is how should I approach the artist & producer about who is entitled to what? Example; I introduce these cats who didn't previously know one another (or maybe they did, but weren't working) & they hit it off to the point that now they make songs & are on their way to selling record/mix tapes. Granted these cats may have eventually ran into eachother, but who's to know.

Which leads to my second concern. What if these cats try to x me out the project/projects because they feel all I did was make an intro? You feel me? How can I make sure niggaz aint gettin off w/o paying me my due. Whether it be a percentage of a track & what not.

Let me know what ya'll think, b/c I not trying to connect cats for nothin. Word!

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I don't know how well that's going to turn out for you if you are trying to get paid just by introducing people. Realistically, they aren't going to be making much money, if anything at all even, off of them just working together.

so even if you did work somethin out between the two artists, i cant see the amount of money you'd get being significant at all.

I dunno maybe someone has more insight to it that can add to this.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
That depends... what's your job description? Someone who introduces people? The beatmaker's manager? The Producer? Do you know promoters? Are you one?... Getting them togheter can lead to you making money, but you have to do more than just introduce them, imo...

feel me?

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
That depends... what's your job description? Someone who introduces people? The beatmaker's manager? The Producer? Do you know promoters? Are you one?... Getting them togheter can lead to you making money, but you have to do more than just introduce them, imo...

feel me?

My job description fits all you described & more. I'm the networker, session booker, producer, beat manager, money man who pays will pay for studio time, cd duplication, cover design, and i can lay down the grittiest of basslines and strings. Drum programming is pretty on point and rocks if I must say.

All in all I have alot to offer these cats & I'm not just introducing & definately not trying to cash on so & so, meeting so & so. Once they meet I really want to direct the project. You know business minded type shit. Most artists wouldn't be shit w/o guys like me willing to work behind the scenes. You feel me?

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Ah see now that makes a lot more sense. My impression was just "producer X, meet MC Y, PAY ME!!"

aha not at all like that, but you see where i'm commin from.

it sounds to me like you would be something of a manager/producer. When you are talking with these cats let them know from the door that you are serious and prove it to them by being professional and contributing ideas and concepts. Be as much apart of the team as they are (often times you'll end up putting in more).

I guess what i'm tryna say is to let them know exactly what you will be doing (all the stuff you mentioned above) and then draw up some figures as far as who gets what when the money comes in. Just make sure you're on top of everything that you are responsible for and let them both know when you've done something (so they know about all of the work your putting in, and why you are crucial to the teams success.

Be sure to keep tabs of who is investing how much into the project and make sure everybody is 100 thousand percent clear on all of the money issues. Address everysingle expense, how it will be covered and what it requires of everyone. So many times i've been in situations where the other person didnt fully understand what is required of them financially and then they get "surprised" in the end. Doesnt do anybody any good, so just make sure thats straight from the beginning.

O

open mind

The Konductor said:
What up Illmuzik fam?

Here's the situation. I know this kid who makes sick ass beats. He asked me to keep a look out for some sick ass Mc's to get down on his tracks. I have a good ear like most of on us here think we do when it comes to beats & rhymes. You know A&R type shit.

My concern is how should I approach the artist & producer about who is entitled to what? Example; I introduce these cats who didn't previously know one another (or maybe they did, but weren't working) & they hit it off to the point that now they make songs & are on their way to selling record/mix tapes. Granted these cats may have eventually ran into eachother, but who's to know.

Which leads to my second concern. What if these cats try to x me out the project/projects because they feel all I did was make an intro? You feel me? How can I make sure niggaz aint gettin off w/o paying me my due. Whether it be a percentage of a track & what not.

Let me know what ya'll think, b/c I not trying to connect cats for nothin. Word!
are u serious? u want money just for connecting 2 individuals?
come on think about it? go work and get your money if u want some.

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I know a cat here that actually wanted co-production credit for submitting my beats with a known cat in the industry for placement. He basically tried to justify it by saying that way, you dont have to come out of your pocket. WTF!?! Muthafunka please! I aint trying to hate on you, but yo I HATE middlemen dogg. If you are going to act as a manager, A&R thats different I guess but yo only if your putting in the footwork and actually going out searching for these cats.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
The Konductor said:
What up Illmuzik fam?

The industry is so full of middle men these days, it's how a lot of people get put into the game but you'd be surprised how many big name producers have assistants/go-fers that hit up websites and get beat CDs etc. and submit them in exchange for a small percentage of that upfront $$$$.

This is actually how a lot of good managers get into management, they are always in the middle of something, making that connection etc.

I get approached with shopping people's tracks on a regular basis and its not really a contractual thing, its more of a gentleman's agreement to break bread if something pops off, which means you can get burned in the end but so does a lot of managers who manage an artist and then they blow up and x- them out the deal. A lotta artist management deals are done on a handshake agreement.

The amount really doesn't matter, it's the relationship that does. But I will say make sure you are 100% upfront about the percentage before you start working/connecting, those numbers become real fuzzy and tend to change when its not clear!

Note: The only situations where I shop people's music is when the person I'm shopping for has as much professionalism or more than I maintain myself.

Note: It doesn't work if you're dealing with non-working producers. You have to connecting somebody with some money otherwise its a waste of time (trust me)
Hope this helps.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The Konductor said:
What up Illmuzik fam?

to simply put it..
arrange a meeting and get everything in writing.

i'm hoping you have an agreement as to your position and compensation as it relates to the producer you're working with/for. if i'm way off, someone please speak on it because that's how i see it, from what you're telling. Peace.

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I hear what all you guys are saying. I think some misunderstood my reasoning.

Like I said I plan to take trips to music conferences to promote this kid once he & I have an understanding as what I bring to the table. Which is money to record tracks, publish/copyright music, & several other business transactions that at some point he can't, won't, or does not have the time & resources to do.

I plan on purchasing some his tracks for a mix tape & compilation album I'm producing. So no one is using anyone here.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
trez260 said:
to simply put it..
arrange a meeting and get everything in writing.

the business arrangement you have with the producer needs to be in writing if you want to avoid getting screwed, especially if there's a significant amount of money being exchanged.

members online