Beat This! - August 29-30, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dBtheProducer

Autism Dad, I Use FL Studio
Battle Points: 89
Forgive my ignorance but what in gods name do you guys consider "Boom Bap" o_O

(I agree with wiki's definition) Wikipedia defines Boom bap as a style of production in hip-hop music. Coined by rapper KRS-ONE, the term "boom bap" is an onomatopoeia for the drum sounds prominent, the kick, "boom," and the snare, "bap". It was historically the East Coast style of hip-hop and the original style, as opposed to the modern southern trap style

classic examples of boom bap music in production and in rapping are

Ill Street blues - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo
Nas - Nas Is Like
Masta Ace - Block Episode Feat. Punch&Words

lol. Maybe its just me but if you want that "sampled" sound then why not call the theme just that?

because boom bap is not limited to just using samples, many producers elevated the rap game when the age of electronic sounds came to be the main sound in hip hop...

an example of this is Method Man, Redman - Da Rockwilder

C4NTK33P5T1LL

I O U a clever tagline signed me
Battle Points: 200
I'm Wondering If I Got Boom Bap Right In What I Was Thinking It Was For Example These Are The Type Of Tracks I Would Consider To Fall Into That Category

EPMD - Da Joint
MF Grimm -Earth
Tyler The Creator - Yonkers

Please Don't Hesitate To Correct Me If I'm Wrong

'Cos After Going Through The Selection Today I Wasn't All That Sure I Was On The Same Page As A Lot Of People , Been A Odd One This Has

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
For this theme, I think if someone is not sure what "Boom Bap" is, it's quite simple - type that into YouTube and you'll have plenty of music to refer to. Especially if you search for "Boom Bap 90s songs". So there's no excuse.

There are some nice beats in this one, but like others have said, they don't fit the theme. But besides that, there are a few that are way too loud! Remember to always check your levels when mixing and stay out of the red. :biggrin:

Kalavera

Beat Amateur
Battle Points: 77
And for those who get confused with "Boombap": Man, seriously, do you even listen to Hip Hop? I'm not trashing the Trap style, but the difference is... HUGE. I mean, c'mon.

Besides that, good luck to everyone!
Nice beats!

d.fusion

soundcloud.com/dfusionmusic
Battle Points: 61
All around great beats guys, even if some missed the theme. Also I think there should be some Boom Bap type contest every couple of months or so ^^ Having a real tough time deciding on who to vote for..

Yeah every hip hop/rap/trap producer should know what boom bap is. Its kinda sad that so many people dont take the time to learn any of the history of their craft. I`m an oldhead but I still take the time to try to learn the new stuff. New beatmakers should give hip hops past (and still present) styles the same respect.
Wouldn't have trap without boom bap..imo

Status
Not open for further replies.