Beat This! Competition - June 7-8, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well the old, old, old school way was to send your tape in the mail to yourself so you could get the post office date stamped on it.... Lots of people did that.

As for the battle, congrats @crog85! I can see the weed smoke when listening to that. There were some really good beats in this but not all were weed-based. Props to all the runner-ups too. :cool:

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Bill Hader Dancing GIF

DR.O

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 35
Everyone is an internet lawyer :LOL: Appreciate the advice my guy but I'll check in with the legal experts in this area!
dude thas who i got that from.......there is a ton of case law backing it up too In America anywayz..... thats pretty cool tho huh i email all my clients their beats cuz it instant downloads to there phone.... also it copyrights it

DR.O

Beatmaker
Well the old, old, old school way was to send your tape in the mail to yourself so you could get the post office date stamped on it.... Lots of people did that.

As for the battle, congrats @crog85! I can see the weed smoke when listening to that. There were some really good beats in this but not all were weed-based. Props to all the runner-ups too. :cool:
see..fade knows lol

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
dude thas who i got that from.......there is a ton of case law backing it up too In America anywayz..... thats pretty cool tho huh i email all my clients their beats cuz it instant downloads to there phone.... also it copyrights it
It was always a gray area to do it like this but it's just the "poor man's copyright". It's not the OFFICIAL way to copyright something but it definitely shows proof of date/time. So if you do that and for example, the timestamp in your DAW of your project when you save it, at least it's a good base you have to start off with if you ever have a legal case or whatever.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This is quite a weak one as it can be manipulated fairly easily.

Definitely if you have it posted or played anywhere it's a good one.

Obviously the more paper trails the better.
Of course it can be, but at least you have something to argue with if needed, then get into all the details. The bottom line is if you want to copyright your stuff properly, just do it properly.

Of course it can be, but at least you have something to argue with if needed, then get into all the details. The bottom line is if you want to copyright your stuff properly, just do it properly.
idk, I still feel like it is a bit loose around here if u ask me. the main issue isn't about our capability to sue them noisethieves, it's more about the fact that A, a decent lawsuit takes so much time and money that it won't even be worth going after it in most cases, and B, the likelihood that we'll get to know that the art is deezed is low anyway. someone might be out there in the 20k - 50k range of streams-per-track using our beats, and there'd be a 0.05%ish chance that we ever find out they exist. now to initiate the cherries & cakes ritual, take that scenario and imagine if some mf remakes our beats and then uses them.

of course, we can't solve all these issues, there'll always be thieves and the remake issue is so unsolvable that bringing it up is borderline redundant. it exists literally everywhere. u can just copy beats offa beatstars/airbit/youtube/... too and get away with it/make legit money offa it, if ur good enough at remaking shit. yet with all that said, it doesn't hurt to think about ways to go about the issue either. I personally fuck with the idea of an illmuzik sound tag. and not even enforced by you; just an exact .wav file on the site that everyone can use if they don't want their beats to be ass-naked out here. it wouldn't be mandatory, just an option for everyone to use if they want.

that way, there's only 1 producer tag for all so the anonymity will be kept, yet it won't be mandatory so there's nothing to enforce, + you won't have to go through adding the tag to every single beat by yourself (Or writing a whole ass code that automatically adds it to audios, which people can go around anyway)

the only challenge this idea faces is that that might create some super minor anonymity issues, especially if too few people end up using them. so maybe we can experiment around it or poll it out or..?

but yea anyway that's just how I see it.

Reactions: VVS

DR.O

Beatmaker
idk, I still feel like it is a bit loose around here if u ask me. the main issue isn't about our capability to sue them noisethieves, it's more about the fact that A, a decent lawsuit takes so much time and money that it won't even be worth going after it in most cases, and B, the likelihood that we'll get to know that the art is deezed is low anyway. someone might be out there in the 20k - 50k range of streams-per-track using our beats, and there'd be a 0.05%ish chance that we ever find out they exist. now to initiate the cherries & cakes ritual, take that scenario and imagine if some mf remakes our beats and then uses them.

of course, we can't solve all these issues, there'll always be thieves and the remake issue is so unsolvable that bringing it up is borderline redundant. it exists literally everywhere. u can just copy beats offa beatstars/airbit/youtube/... too and get away with it/make legit money offa it, if ur good enough at remaking shit. yet with all that said, it doesn't hurt to think about ways to go about the issue either. I personally fuck with the idea of an illmuzik sound tag. and not even enforced by you; just an exact .wav file on the site that everyone can use if they don't want their beats to be ass-naked out here. it wouldn't be mandatory, just an option for everyone to use if they want.

that way, there's only 1 producer tag for all so the anonymity will be kept, yet it won't be mandatory so there's nothing to enforce, + you won't have to go through adding the tag to every single beat by yourself (Or writing a whole ass code that automatically adds it to audios, which people can go around anyway)

the only challenge this idea faces is that that might create some super minor anonymity issues, especially if too few people end up using them. so maybe we can experiment around it or poll it out or..?

but yea anyway that's just how I see
I read that in the art of rap...or some such book...when i was in jail, we all had a debate going in the pod...cuz i do my thing i rep SYCCYDE to the fullest and every time i go to jail i come out with a new squad of rappers...... so I asked my lawyer.she had no idea lol.......... but she actually looked into it and said there is a ton of case law backing it up ....the DAW timestamp is cool but if u are only a rapper and didnt make the beat or don't make beats...then the only timestamp u got is an email to yourself...as long as u have an official email u send it to that is your verified email ...it doesnt really matter about manipulation of it because they can do computer forensics or what the fuck ever its called to verify the legitemacy of the email...you are supposed to email it to yourself .....if it is legit and verified by google....that stands up solidly in court..... from my lawyers own research... the email thing checks out......................... hip hop is about samples though , and yes anyone can recreate or alter any sound and steal it..... but that is its own art and alot of stolen shit ends up being pretty cool mixed right.....so I aint trippin.....if shug knight ever tried holdin my ankles and hangin me off a balcony to try n get royalties ....Im talkn shit til he drops me HAHAHAHAHAHA....................... cuz this is HIP HOP tuck your chain if u dont want it snatched

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah we need to get this thread back to the battle itself. If you want to talk about tags and copyright, please start a new thread.

DR.O

Beatmaker

but yea anyway that's just how I see it.
pretty close to communism bud....

Status
Not open for further replies.