Beat This! Competition - October 19-20, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I'm writing my immediate thoughts on each record and sharing later.

GL illiens. :guillotine:

1666311598917.png

ill's top 5

@thangman Beat 13 - sunset; good qaulity not sure vocal texture matches the beat. Kinda irritating that no verse comes in.
@Face Valid beat 4 - trap gemini; good mix, good vibes. sounds like a release. Lil bit of clipping nothing major. vocal a little scratchy but.
@Delta_Nine beat 3 - 'dopest in the booth'; nice. Feel like the beat could be raise a little in level. Feel like a *little* bit of stereo something would have helped this record. would have helped the mono aspect shine a bit better.
@JGrizz410 beat 8 - burn something; good vocal. Record clipping a bit too much. beat feels a bit too 'back' in the mix. otherwise a vibe.
@5ivestar_nc beat 5 - beautiful day; balance a bit off from drums, nice vibe though, nice sample

ill's runners up

@Pcs shorty beat 1 - whisper; can't hear what's being said in whisper stages. vocal sounds very thinned out/transparent. Beat is very tinny and thin.
@hosie beat 2 - mobb deep; nice vibes. textures all match. cool record. Note: I feel between the chorus and Hav's verse, that little bar of space, should have maybe had something happen in the arrangement to match. Made it feel a bit like a demo/waiting for someone to come in.
@NonxG beat 6 - chord stabs; feels a bit soft mix. better when the percs come in. Feel like the vocals need more effects to bring them to life in the mix, give them a big space.
@Primz beat 7 - mm dadada; fucking with the vibe. not keen when the 3rd vocal comes in, doesn't really fit for me. Kick would do with having more low thump. Maybe could have had filtering on the beat when chick vocal comes in as that has heavy verb.
@Walidank beat 9 - drank some pizza?; this honestly sounded like it had potential to be the best record here. Some beefy drums and plucky bass this would have been the sheeeit.
@guitardep beat 10 - i dont wanna fuck; vocals need a bit more clarity. high mids sound a little lacking for the snare/hats
@Da Archangels beat 11 - ethnic perc; interesting beat, would like bit more of a present kick. curious how much is sample.
@Worldtor beat 12 - verb bus?; What happened? Sounds like accidentally only exported a reverb bus.
@DJ Excellence beat 14 - wu vibe; vocal could be a slightly bit higher in level. a vibe for sure. very dusty character record but it is an aesthetic.
@Fury Beats beat 15 - moody eerie beat; good vocal quality. beat could be a little louder and sliiightly more defined. i wanna feel that snare a bit more. nice tho.
@HypeBarbaric beat 16 - violins; beat/vocal sounds a bit choked in the mids. Otherwise would be a vibe. feels like the mids are taken out, highs are too glassy.

Came down to 3 really good records for me.

Vote decided on which felt like I could just 'let play' and would feel like it's just a normal release.

@Face Valid got my vote :fire:
@NonxG I thought this was really good :bomb:
@Da Archangels really good :bomb:

Upon reflection, I feel there are maybe a couple others I could have put in contention. @JGrizz410 and @hosie

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
What a great bunch of tracks.

Thanks to everyone who voted and who gave props.

@Iron Keys that was a review and a half. Must have spent a long time putting that together. Very in depth and helpful. Can't believe you picked up on the couple of bars of "space" on my track. I actually had the vocal chops coming back in but I couldn't get them the way I wanted and due to the time difference here in Scotland I had to upload before I hit the pillow.

Truth be told this is my first battle entry and I've considered entering before but because of the time difference I never make it. Glad I did because there was great bunch of tracks and for me about 70% of the tracks were possible contenders. Alot comes down to taste too.

Thanks to @Fade as always for the time and effort put into the battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online