Beat This! - July 14-15, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I had a hard time choosing between @Iron Keys , @Vossi Beats , and @Delta_Nine , but I wound up voting for Delta. All three of those submissions were super solid, so I ended up voting based on my personal preference.
All that being said everyone did a wonderful job, and I appreciate those of you giving me feedback and positive affirmations. That honestly means a lot more to me than placement.(y)(y)(y)

Now that's a proper fine selection of beats! Including your own.

Giving me small faith yet in this place.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
IMO FaceValids had to much going on in the beat with FX to also have a vocal over it. Complicated and complex doesnt always translate to "good".

Id love you feedback on why you didnt think my beat deserved its placement (other then your obvious unwarranted hate of the trap style)

I just felt its vibe was a bit too EDM/dubsteppy vibes for my liking.

Got a slight aversion to EDM, and illmuzik had a slight period where too many people were posting EDM beats so even Fade stepped in to remind people it's a Hip Hop site.

That's all.

And like I said, it wasn't such that the beats that placed weren't good... just that there are peoper killer beats that didn't.

Battle Points: 153
I suggested this once back during "the big voting debate".

Personally i think it's a good idea but don't really know what difference it'll make when half of people's voting is just dead or clueless.
I think it does big time. Now 20 people vote for 28 beats. 15 of them vote for 1 best boombap, 8 get a random vote and place top 5. rest didnt even had a vote (me n papa didnt probably even get 1 vote, perhaps fade felt sorry and put me above him cause he mentioned it earlier placing above me lol) So yeah, the more focused serious listener/voter will place a few votes and more will get a descent placing perhaps...just my 2 cents.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I think it does big time. Now 20 people vote for 28 beats. 15 of them vote for 1 best boombap, 8 get a random vote and place top 5. rest didnt even had a vote (me n papa didnt probably even get 1 vote, perhaps fade felt sorry and put me above him cause he mentioned it earlier placing above me lol) So yeah, the more focused serious listener/voter will place a few votes and more will get a descent placing perhaps...just my 2 cents.

Nah I agree completely. That was my methodology too - often I'dhave 2 or 3 beats I can't decide between.

For example... in a 3 vote system someone couldbe everyone's 2nd choice or even 3rd choice and win.
Whereas in a 1 vote system they would not even place.

So the 3 vote system would show a truer representation of the liked beats. Perhaps.

The reason I saying now it won't make a difference is that people can't even vote for the blatantly better beats as it is.

Fyi exclusing top5, beats are listed alphabetically.

Battle Points: 153
Nah I agree completely. That was my methodology too - often I'dhave 2 or 3 beats I can't decide between.

For example... in a 3 vote system someone couldbe everyone's 2nd choice or even 3rd choice and win.
Whereas in a 1 vote system they would not even place.

So the 3 vote system would show a truer representation of the liked beats. Perhaps.

yes my G indeed
The reason I saying now it won't make a difference is that people can't even vote for the blatantly better beats as it is.

^^
Fyi exclusing top5, beats are listed alphabetically.

Haha ok ill name my beat Apple next time so ill stay on top of Papas :ROFLMAO: @Mahlhavoc

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Congrats to @crog85 on another win! That beat was really unique because of the fact that the vocals were just chillin there to compliment the music. And that piano for me was what really stood out.

As it's been for ages now, these no theme battles are super hard to judge. The votes were all over the place, which shows everyone has different tastes, but that's to be expected.

I can resurrect the thread we had a while ago about the voting process and if it should change, let me know if any of you want to discuss that again, but there's so many suggestions in that thread and no one could agree on anything lol.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
@crog85 , best sample flip
Appreciate that! I should prob thank @2GooD Productions for posting that sample ;)
BTW Grats @crog85 your mixing is off the charts
Meh… I feel like it could be better :unsure:
Truth be told, none could have owned @crog85 's beat...that shit was dope as fuck bro (y) (for this time :p)
:facts: Glad you liked it! I also enjoyed your beat… those strings sound so clean! I think I would’ve enjoyed it more without vocals though… felt like that acapella actually took from your beat
Congrats to @crog85 - liked the Houston screw style
It’s actually more inspired by memphis phonk…
Its what i listen to, and gettin better at each beat...so im not gonna produce boombap just because the OG ILLZ are all boombap and hope for a placement :)
:this: Im not quite an OG yet, but Ive been here a while, and i make the style that I listen to as well… No boombap from crog!
Congrats to @crog85 on another win! That beat was really unique because of the fact that the vocals were just chillin there to compliment the music. And that piano for me was what really stood out.
Thanks man… You know Ive had a hard time making beats lately, so this win was a welcomed surprise! That piano was just a stock sound that I played on top of the sample, just to give it a lil different vibe (y)
Im Cute How I Met Your Mother GIF by Laff

As it's been for ages now, these no theme battles are super hard to judge. The votes were all over the place, which shows everyone has different tastes, but that's to be expected.

I can resurrect the thread we had a while ago about the voting process and if it should change, let me know if any of you want to discuss that again, but there's so many suggestions in that thread and no one could agree on anything lol.
When it comes to so many good beats to choose from, it will always be all over the place

Appreciate that! I should prob thank @2GooD Productions for posting that sample ;)

Meh… I feel like it could be better :unsure:

:facts: Glad you liked it! I also enjoyed your beat… those strings sound so clean! I think I would’ve enjoyed it more without vocals though… felt like that acapella actually took from your beat

It’s actually more inspired by memphis phonk…

:this: Im not quite an OG yet, but Ive been here a while, and i make the style that I listen to as well… No boombap from crog!

Thanks man… You know Ive had a hard time making beats lately, so this win was a welcomed surprise! That piano was just a stock sound that I played on top of the sample, just to give it a lil different vibe (y)
Im Cute How I Met Your Mother GIF by Laff
Congrats on another win, un-fucking-stoppable. Glad I played a small part in this one.

For the record @KiloOnTheBeat got my vote. That beat just vibed with me.

@Armani dope beat suits the vocal, an easy contender, one of my favorites.
@crog85 needless to say, dope, really liked the pitch shift. Also one of my favorites, another well deserved win.
@DaHomie dope, another banger.
@Face Valid Had a hard time choosing between this and @KiloOnTheBeat, really liked it.
@C4NTK33P5T1LL props for the title alone. Not really feeling the beat so much tbh, didnt like the choice of sounds.
@Delta_Nine this was giving me Madlib vibes and could hear Quasimoto on it.
@Halle1111 really liked the sample on this, but the mix and repetitiveness hurt this one.
@Homsy really liked this one too, i think a better mix will make the components gel together a bit better, needs to be a bit more balanced.
@Iron Keys this is really dope, one of my favorites for this battle, but it is rnb/pop not hip hop. Still real nice production, great track.
@jainehot2 spent the whole track waiting for a drop that never came. Really needs a big drop, will really make it stand out.
@Mahlhavoc the pella fucked this one for me. Some of the sounds used dont sound so great too, they sound a bit general midi. Great choice of midi file though. One of my favorite songs of all time.

If I havent mentioned you, no hard feelings. Just wanted to give some feedback.

Last edited:
Congrats to @crog85 - liked the Houston screw style
Gave a vote to @Space_Alexander - just nice classic hip hop vibes
No ones mentioned @Armani - thought your beat was decent!
So many other good beats, no need to mention again.

A word on the 'vocal track allowed'. I would prefer it if there was no option, so either the theme is 100% vocal tracks, or none at all. I don't like having a mixture of both, I think it makes the competition an un level playing field and could also skew voting. I love just hearing beats on their to be honest but I do think every now and again it should be a vocal track to make it a more authentic producer experience, but everyone entering should have to step up to that.
Thanks for the vote @Face Valid ! It truly is an honor :D

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@Iron Keys this is really dope, one of my favorites for this battle, but it is rnb/pop not hip hop. Still real nice production, great track.
I appreciate you, brother!

For me, although I used (you said it exactly as i had) a rnb/pop vocal, I still considered the beat Hip-Hop. Was trying to do something different to just another rapapella. I also consider rnb hip-hop (because it's Hip-Hop opposed to rap) but yeah. (So i find it odd when people don't accept rnb but accept edm)

I'm genuinely really quite pleased with this track. Think it's probably the best thing I've ever made. Even tho the chorus was a bit rushed.

I appreciate you, brother!

For me, although I used (you said it exactly as i had) a rnb/pop vocal, I still considered the beat Hip-Hop. Was trying to do something different to just another rapapella. I also consider rnb hip-hop (because it's Hip-Hop opposed to rap) but yeah. (So i find it odd when people don't accept rnb but accept edm)

I'm genuinely really quite pleased with this track. Think it's probably the best thing I've ever made. Even tho the chorus was a bit rushed.
Poof diddy blurred the lines between rnb and hip hop, but Mary J did it first and better IMO.
I felt your track had a good current popular sound, these days hiphop is played mainstream like it never was in the 90's. The lines between pop and hiphop and rnb have all gotten a bit smudgy. Emo trap seems to be all the rage, its like every rapper feels the need to sing these days, so maybe you are right, its all one thing now.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Poof diddy blurred the lines between rnb and hip hop, but Mary J did it first and better IMO.
I felt your track had a good current popular sound, these days hiphop is played mainstream like it never was in the 90's. The lines between pop and hiphop and rnb have all gotten a bit smudgy. Emo trap seems to be all the rage, its like every rapper feels the need to sing these days, so maybe you are right, its all one thing now.

Yeah. It'll die out soon enough. (Well never soon enough haha).

I'm considering making this my last battle here. Not sure what purpose it serves anymore. Need to think of finding somewhere else to post my beats.

Could always come here making the same empty lifeless trap beats for the sake of wins. But why? That shit's not gonna get you anywhere other than a few kids on YT liking your beat after searching for "type beats".

There's a few here with good music sense, but there'll always be more who are just kids looking to hear the same one dry beat.

Yeah. It'll die out soon enough. (Well never soon enough haha).

I'm considering making this my last battle here. Not sure what purpose it serves anymore. Need to think of finding somewhere else to post my beats.

Could always come here making the same empty lifeless trap beats for the sake of wins. But why? That shit's not gonna get you anywhere other than a few kids on YT liking your beat after searching for "type beats".

There's a few here with good music sense, but there'll always be more who are just kids looking to hear the same one dry beat.
ive never won with an empty lifeless trap beat, just saying. And Ive won one or two. Its just your ego being a bit salty, it will pass in a few days, we have been here before hahahahahaha. Its a good song, you put a lot into it, and it didnt place. I know man, shit hurts, but what doesnt break us, makes us(old, cynical and miserable). There has been a few times that tracks Ive entered that I really really liked just didnt place at all. I just accept that if crogs in a beat this hes going to win it, and even if hes not, theres a really good chance I wont even place. My ego still gets hurt, but then I beat that bitch back into the corner where it belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online