Beat This! - September 9-10, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
@Iron Keys just jump on the ones you like or that inspire you. i cant be arsed to enter every single one but you can do it casually and work on your own stuff :) its good practice

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Oh stop.. your beat was nice man, on time and I felt it, thats a reason to stay in and do your thing, not crawl out of it. You got this mang your shit is tight, took me a few battles to realize, meh... screw the votes, I like my shit so... I know I talk down on my shit, but its funny to me to do so, I know I am getting better erryday and I know you are as well. So take it on the chin and move on... also, add a drum to that beat and send it to me in discord :cocaine:

also.. @2GooD Productions yeah.. thought about it but I enjoy talking shit on my stuff too much to just give it up... I AM NO QUITTER!

Haha, nah like i said it ain't about that. People loved my beat and that's all that matters to me. Entering has been just a kinda little play/time waste n test. But I'm done with that, so the only point to be in it would be if you're trying to win it,for the game, but i wont win so no point to play :p

So insteada wasting a week making a beatthis beat, I gonna continue with making 4 bar tracks n moving to the next one :woot: mi capite?!

Haha, nah like i said it ain't about that. People loved my beat and that's all that matters to me. Entering has been just a kinda little play/time waste n test. But I'm done with that, so the only point to be in it would be if you're trying to win it,for the game, but i wont win so no point to play :p

So insteada wasting a week making a beatthis beat, I gonna continue with making 4 bar tracks n moving to the next one :woot: mi capite?!
you should work on making those 4 bar loops into something more, I used to get stuck making four bar loops, but I did get past it eventually. Once I have a four bar loop now, my next step is a hook. After that then a changeup/bridge maybe, before going back to the four bar loop. Now I dont have much trouble with that, and if I do, then I give up and move on to making something with a vibe Im feeling a bit more. Having a collection of four bar loops isnt a problem when working with artists who might like the feel of a particular loop and want to work with it, drop some verses and then you can adapt the loop to fit the vocals where necessary. Do some remixes or something to get used to creating for the lyrics of a track. Expand the horizons.
The art of beatmaking I have learned is in making the repetitive not repetitive by having well placed variations that arent quite what was expected, it keeps things interesting and can make a four bar loop drag out into a whole song without sounding monotonous. Finding the balance between the hypnotic rhythm and interesting changes that keep the listener interested. A couple well placed drum fills can turn a 4 bar loop into an 8 or 16 bar loop very quickly

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
:this:

That's the the whole thing - build it up! Take that 4 bar loop and make another 4 bar loop, then build it into a whole track. I did this one a few years ago (I really still don't know how I pieced it together) but it's a 4 bar loop and I made a variation with the horns. I do remember trying to make the horn one as the main loop. Instead I used it as the hook and it worked better.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
you should work on making those 4 bar loops into something more, I used to get stuck making four bar loops, but I did get past it eventually. Once I have a four bar loop now, my next step is a hook. After that then a changeup/bridge maybe, before going back to the four bar loop. Now I dont have much trouble with that, and if I do, then I give up and move on to making something with a vibe Im feeling a bit more. Having a collection of four bar loops isnt a problem when working with artists who might like the feel of a particular loop and want to work with it, drop some verses and then you can adapt the loop to fit the vocals where necessary. Do some remixes or something to get used to creating for the lyrics of a track. Expand the horizons.
The art of beatmaking I have learned is in making the repetitive not repetitive by having well placed variations that arent quite what was expected, it keeps things interesting and can make a four bar loop drag out into a whole song without sounding monotonous. Finding the balance between the hypnotic rhythm and interesting changes that keep the listener interested. A couple well placed drum fills can turn a 4 bar loop into an 8 or 16 bar loop very quickly

Yeah, nah I literally do/have done all this.

But sometimes I just find the track can't seem to move away from that 4 bars. not cause i aint feeling it or it aint good, often its real good but its so solidly what it is it's hard to then add a different phrase or something cause it just dont work to not do it. I also would say I pretty much start with hook, unless it somehow turns into verse. And often i end up building on top of the loop, and then deciding that's the main built up bit. then either just taking away bits for the verse pre or hook. but that feels cheap sometimes. I find sometimes putting drums is a problem because it starts to cement the feeling of that loop. even tho i can generally 'hear' the drums as soon as i've made the main hook.

But this is why i reaaally liked this 'no drums' theme. It kinda forced me to think how do I give a sense of movement, or change or development without just adding drums and or dropping things in and out. And decided I'm going to try use this going ahead to build my tracks more, either by; not adding my drums once i've got my main hook/melody done (my usual approach), or by if I do add them, to then just mute them and keep them aside for later.

I think the issue right now is the habit of not doing that, so having to force myself into it. Tried it now, kinda felt it worked i heard music, but lost it pretty quick n think i hear drums instead.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Having a collection of four bar loops isnt a problem when working with artists who might like the feel of a particular loop and want to work with it, drop some verses and then you can adapt the loop

This is one of the reasons too, I feel there's not often point making a whole arrangement until you got lyrics to work with. I used to just upload '1 verse 1 hook' length demos. Always fuckin hated people saying "the track needs to be longer" :skull: hated having to explain reasoning. I find some artists can bedumb tho - start their verse halfway through the pre and start hook halfway through verse or something.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
ALL OR NOTHING :wtf: :shotsfired:

For me I think you gotta enter if you think you'll win or get something out of it. I'm not gonna win one so will have to wait for ones like this.
I smell cop out! You are good enough, pretty enough and gosh darn it, people like you... (old snl skit)

Bro stop snatching on my gig... I am the one who does the self degrating stuff, you are better than me and I dont stop, ill be damned if you do. Knock it off, dust your shit off and get back on the horse. We all know you as one of our better ones so this is mute. Enouch of this shit, I got your back man.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Stuart_Smalley.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online