beatjacking

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey have any of you gotten one of your beats jacked by someone else (they took it and said it was their own)? is this something that happens a lot that i should be worried about if i start putting more stuff online? do you think voice tags really work/are absolutely neccesary to prevent this kind of theivery?

its a scary thought

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
i always put voicetags on my shit. I've had close encounters with a few beatjackers. They will tell you anything to get in good with you, even give you their home phone numbers and shit

veon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
didn't happend to me beacause i have only one beat online and a shitty one i dont mind it jacked. but some random noise helps from beeing hijacked the only way to remove the noise is for the jacker to have the original before it gets joined with the instrumental.

O

open mind

lol i was thinkin if the beatjackers get a deal fo real and have a live session creating beats n shit then what they come up with? hahahah.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sanova said:
i always put voicetags on my shit. I've had close encounters with a few beatjackers. They will tell you anything to get in good with you, even give you their home phone numbers and shit

are you thinking of the same deal i am? you know what im talking about.....

seriously, i dont think its as big a deal as people make it out to be. ive had my beats stolen a couple times, and threats of legal action usually resolve the issue quite smoothly. tag your shit, dont put it up for download, and dont worry about it so much.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
DrOscillator said:
hey have any of you gotten one of your beats jacked by someone else (they took it and said it was their own)? is this something that happens a lot that i should be worried about if i start putting more stuff online? do you think voice tags really work/are absolutely neccesary to prevent this kind of theivery?

its a scary thought

No, voice tags don't work, the no download option don't work if someone really wants your track they'll get it. If someone really wants to jack your work from you (copyright or not) they can do that. Remake the track keep the same feel/vibe and change it just enough to where it's their own. Leave you sitting like "thats my ish... lil reworked but THATS MINE" and really not much you can do about that. Some wont go that far because they not skilled enough but there are some that will and do (happens quite often) espically if its a sample. People fail to realize alot of people with their foot in the door do sit on computers and browse soundclick,mp3.com (not sure if that site is still up) Listen to tracks hear stuff they like and just make their own version of it.

Lol some people will even jack your work with your vocal tags on it. I remember there was a cat that went by Ozone that got his work jacked. The dude that jacked it got it aired on Fox news good thing Ozone had some protection he got a nice settlement but, who knows how many times dude done sold/lease his track on the street. Anyway, still copyright your material get artist on your work post those up rather than just beats.

Good luck

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Here's a article on beattalk.com, that really made me see how beat jacking is not really a bad thing :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Get Heard!

By Don Di Napoli

Newbie Hip-Hop/R&B producers often find themselves with no avenues to gain contacts and exposure. “

One hand washes the other in the commonwealth marriage known as hip-hop. As a producer or DJ, you make or blend tracks specifically geared towards certain artists.

Without you, artists are forced to rock over instrumentals that other artists probably spit over already, and trust me, that route is so played out, thanks to Mr. 50 Cent. And they probably can’t spit as good as the artist that originally did it anyway, so they ruin good songs! Simply put, the artist NEEDS you!

Yes there are Producer-Specific showcases, battles, etc. (see iStandard Producer Showcase birthed by yours truly), but at the “Artist” events is where you are likely to find that “diamond in the rough”.

There are tons of showcases, open mics, battles, contests, networking parties, etc., where artists flock in hopes of getting their demo into the right hands. All you have to do is go to www.connexlist.com, download the CONNEX LIST and you will find over 30 events to start off with, put on by some great people like J Hatch of Inasirkl Music Group, Mental Supreme, Maria Davis, etc. The cost is never usually more than $10 at the door.

Go on the Internet and Goggle “Hip-Hop shows”. Why are you not at these events? I understand the theory that you don’t want to hand out beat CD’s because you are afraid that some beat-jacker will take your stuff and put it on their mixtape, but is that necessarily a bad thing?

Are those tracks better just sitting on your hard drive in the hopes that one-day Jay-Z will rock on them? The answer is no…artists and producers come up together, hence the aforementioned “One hand washes the other”. If you meet an artist or a manager at one of these events, obviously they are on their hustle as well, and would not be there for any other reason.

Instead of just giving your beats out to anyone and saying, “Here, these are my tracks, let me know what you think…”, bring your phone , Sidekick , Blackberry or even an f’kin’ piece of paper and FOLLOW-UP with who ever you hand your tracks to! You never know what can happen, that artist MAY be next. If they are feelin’ your beats and your sound, this can do nothing but benefit you. Here’s how…

If that artist has that ability (voice, flow, breath control, creativity, hooks, drive, etc.), he will come back for more tracks and you will have someone to reference vocals/hooks on those tracks you’ve been tryin’ to get at Def Jam for the past 2 years. That will give the A&R more of an idea of what the song is all about. Trade off with the artist. Tell him if he spits hooks on those 20 tracks that you are trying to get on a big project, you will give him 5 beats for his next album/mixtape

-The artist will show loyalty. If it’s your beat that is the one that’s goin’ on all the mixtapes, getting shopped to A&R’s, etc. etc., how can you see that as anything but positive? Sign a sheet of paper with them that the publishing on anything that brings in some $ gets split 50/50

Word spreads quickly. If that artist is serious about their career 9 times out of 10 people will ask “Yo! Who did that track?” If he doesn’t say you, then you got a problem. Judge people’s character more carefully. The more you network, the better your chance to shine…The more you sit in the lab and hang those tracks on your wall, your chance is being taken by some hungry producer out there making his rounds!!

Comments, questions, death threats, love letters, and questions on the iStandard Producer Showcase can be directed to Don Di Napoli, don@prototypeentertainment.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If an artist really like your shit they'll comeback, and if you give it to a producer, if he's really feeling your shit and your style, he'll probably come back to you too.

Gotta take risks in life

FSC

Royal Souf Productions
ill o.g.
I had it happen to me in my area a while ago... Somebody took a unfinished track from the studio and started to claim it as theirs.. It really wasnt' a big deal to me i just dropped the remix to the song and that was that...

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, Ozone beat was used on that show - it even had the T-T-T-Toxiq voice tag in the clip.

However, I question whether or not Ozone was really jacked.

He could of very well shopped that track himself... and made the story up for more publicity

I do it all the time. lol.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I have been in a weird angle on this where I get producers with hot ass beats that come to me and want to do work they send me the beat and I start workin it with our artists and get it completed and all only to find out that they never made the track in the first place...
That can cost alot of time and money...
In short, now if the dude or dudet doesnt seem like they could have made it they probably didnt (Especially if they "Delete" their trax when they finish making them lol).
Additionally anyone who needs voice tags get at me Im back on them today.
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15245

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DrOscillator said:

its a scary thought

My strategy is to use two things, cause this shi* will happen all the time if you're not careful. Number one, use voice tags. Don't use them quietly, they should be layered and panned throughout your mix. The bottom line is people can still hear the beat and if they're interested, they'll get at you. Nobody's gonna hear the next Still Dre with a vocal tag they don't like on it and say aw shit that beat isn't hot now, you know? Second thing is ALWAYS find an acapella whether that be someone you work with personally (ideal) or just someone mainstream. If you've got an acapella over every bar of the beat with vocal tags layered throughout, its gonna be a hard ass time jacking that beat even in a professional studio.

One caveat...be very careful with prized samples. If someone can recognize the sample, they don't even have to jack the beat, they'll just remake it.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hilo, you sound mad paranoid. dont worry about it so much. you may get a couple beats jacked everyonce in a while. who cares.

spending all this time and effort trying to smother your beats in sounds will only make you sell fewer beats.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
for real it aint that serious, ur a producer if ur hot u can always make more tracks, i have a couple of tracks i desginate "public" tracks that i shop and expect to get jacked, u have to get ur music ontheir somehow

BUt i tell u this, but most of the time cats who worry about getting jacked aint even worth jacking, think about it their are sooo many producers out their that u have to be REALLY REALLY REALLY dope for somebody to go threw the time and enegry to grap ur stuff

classs...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
classic said:
for real it aint that serious, ur a producer if ur hot u can always make more tracks, i have a couple of tracks i desginate "public" tracks that i shop and expect to get jacked, u have to get ur music ontheir somehow

BUt i tell u this, but most of the time cats who worry about getting jacked aint even worth jacking, think about it their are sooo many producers out their that u have to be REALLY REALLY REALLY dope for somebody to go threw the time and enegry to grap ur stuff

classs...

True, only thing I would worry even if you wack or not the next Just Bleezy, is just a concept, or melody that could be built from, thats usually what gets jacked though not your entire song...just the idea in a lot of cases.

pLentee

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
cant no 1 jak beats man. they can take it, spit on it and say its theirs but let me see them come up with the samples ive worked on for 10hours or the actual production file. wen it really comes down 2 it u can proov its your shit. getme?

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:

exactly.

cant no 1 jak beats man. they can take it, spit on it and say its theirs but let me see them come up with the samples ive worked on for 10hours or the actual production file. wen it really comes down 2 it u can proov its your shit. getme?

what are you talking about? its real easy to remake a beat, and if its an mcee taking your beat, all they want is the final mix anyway.

still, not something to worry about really.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
man yall not thinking, maybe I been in this on a lot of levels, trust me it happens and I know some people in the game, getting work and checks...LOL....think about it even at the low levels....I seen it...you take your instrumental b.....sell it group C or whatever.....okay....then.....they go to 24 track studios (aka basement dungeon productions.....) Shiesty would be wanna be producer engineer DJ trusty at underneath productions, records yah boys you sold YOUR instrumental B too.....then a few weeks later DJ trusty has by chance had this crew come thru his studio looking for beats...WEEEEELL DJ trusty just happens to have the whole sesssion including your prized instrumental in its bangin pristine 2 track format on his computer still mixing it for group C, so its no problem to use that track to play for them since he really doesnt have any beats worthy enuff and he wants the big break just like you did, so he plays it with about 20 other jacked joints...they go WOW.....how much?....DJ trusty goes...well how about 500 and publishing....they go ok...then they happen to tell DJ trusty, guess what? we just got picked up by Sony...and this instrumental will go perfect for the EPK we putting out.....well, well ....for those of you who really dont care much about your music or it getting jacked....think again....I had some flaming joints awhile back on myspace and was messaged about using it so some cats recorded it and sent it to me....LOL...then back during the beat this, believe it or not, luckily it was my man on here.....took my beat and did a remix after jacking it from THIS SITE LOL but its cool cause he did an excellent job....anyhow its not as risky for some though to be jacked....this same scenario can play out on any beat CD you send out unsolicited...it can happen...its not just a story its a true story....Beats ARE jacked Daily....wack or not....
Holla

DJ Swivel Pointed out the fact I had a couple joints that could be easily jacked from myspace and at his advice I quickly took them down too....

Young Qyu

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
you could always do a poor man's copyright. Send ur shit to yourself in the mail, and don't open it. not sure how valid it is, but its still something. $30 a cd, i'm too poor for that for the amount of stuff i want to save. As far as tagging, I usually just put an acapella over my shit so at least it can sound good without the repetetive short tag.

members online