Beats sounding the same

hollaatroy

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I've seemed to hit a brick wall and noticed that my beats are sounding the same. Some beats don't sound exactly alike, but you can tell they were done by the same producer. The main problem is that they sound to musical. Or better yet, they sound to melodic. When I try to make simple hard hitting beat (ie. Cassie- "Me and You" or Chris Brown "Run It") it always feels empty or as if I don't have enough fill ins or ad libs. But then after I tweak it, it loses that hard hitting, ass shaking feel and turns into something more mellow. I can't seem to find the right balance. Especially since I cater to rap/hip-hop beats and most mc's rather spit to a hip-hop instead of something that sounds more like R&B. Anybody have this problem? Or have ideas?

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
Yea I run into the similar problem where I just can't seem to get anything popp'n. I would make like 5-10 a week or maybe even a DAY and only 1 or 2 would sound hott. What I do is just listen to music when I'm at that level. My advice for you is just listen to different kinds of music from hip hop to pop to rock. Try to experiment with sounds that you're comfortable with and also try to get a knowledge of what kind of sounds are used in today's music too. But what ever you do, don't stop. Just keep making them. Eventually, you'll get better and have more knowledge about it. NAAA MEAAANZ

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That sounds like what happens when dudes buy a keyboard and keep playing the same 3 finger melody (saying they original) with a different preset sound.

In order to flip shit up change the drums u use and the patterns ur program also get some different sound source dont make all ur beats off the same keyboard if u do then u gotta start tweaking sounds or making ur own sounds.

if ur a sample dig in different generes of music as that will give a different tone/sound which will prompt ur to program different drums and create a beat that is different to what u would of done.

Also start tracks in different ways ie: if u always start with drums, try starting with a bass line or a loop then build around that, then u can start messing with chops of that loop if u wanna do something more creative.

Maknbeats

Back to Work
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 56
Fuck around with different drums, i allways start making some different patterns, like making that 80's pop drums. But if you listen to like that cassie beat, it's pretty simple, but complex, just cause the sound is real good. So it may not be bad if you think it sounds kind of empty. But i def think playing with some drums and diff percussions can help make a diff sound for you.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
hollaatroy said:
When I try to make simple hard hitting beat (ie. Cassie- "Me and You" or Chris Brown "Run It") it always feels empty or as if I don't have enough fill ins or ad libs. But then after I tweak it, it loses that hard hitting, ass shaking feel and turns into something more mellow.

The foundation of a hard hitting beat is the drums... make sure they sound tight, that the snare/clap sounds tight, and that the kick hits hard, and make it interesting (or real REAL simple, but HARD) Also, the rest of the instruments should accompany the drums... not over powering them.... but that's MY receipe... I actually have the exact opposite problem. But I know a midi controller will solve that (for me)

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
most beats nowadays are very simple, u just gotta find ur niche, once u do that it'll be easy, I used to have the same problem, what i did, was just listened to tons of producers with the sound I wanted, then for the first few weeks try mimicking them, once u do that, it'll come, i don't kno if that would work for everyone but it worked for me, pz.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Change up your tempo to.

If you usually work between 80 & 90 BPM then try say 90 to 100 BPM.

Do things you have never done before like reverse a kick.

Use pre-sets you think could never work with your genre. And tweek pre-sets.

Add effects like flanger to things like hi-hats.

Try makein beats in a different time signature.

Get new samples. Throw a book at a wall, record it and use it for a snare.

Use your imagination.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
haha @ throw a book at a wall... thats ghetto... but at the same time creative good shit dogg...

but to get back on topic, i have this problem alllll the time... i usually just snap outta it over time... if that don't work i switch what i'm doing... i go from samplin, to composing, to both, to makin songs outta acapellas, flippin samples ppl request me to flip... shit like that... and try to make a beat for each genre out there... g funk, hyphy, crunk, east coast, midwest shit, club shit, backpacker shit, obscure shit, abstract shit.... do anything to get that shit going again man...

O

open mind

use diffrent samples,bpm,instruments,listen to diffrent musik,try diffrent genre,make a break from composing or whatever,try diffrent time creating and composing no bullshit for example when i create a beat at night it sounds way diffrent then when i make it on daylight u feel me?
good luck.

NobleWordz said:
Throw a book at a wall, record it and use it for a snare.
very creative and besides that very funny it saved my day haha.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
NobleWordz said:
Throw a book at a wall, record it and use it for a snare.

that shit will punch like a Dr Dre snare

:D

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
There are several tricks like that...^^^^

Breaking a carrot (sick rimshot)
Hitting a wall (boomy kick... depending on the wall....)

But that wont really change the feel of a beat that much IMO

O

open mind

sYgMa said:
There are several tricks like that...^^^^

Breaking a carrot (sick rimshot)
Hitting a wall (boomy kick... depending on the wall....)

But that wont really change the feel of a beat that much IMO
LMFAO

how about farting into the mic then pitching it up for a DRY KICK ?
or for some real WET OPEN HI-HAT shaking a coke bottle and opening it up ?
or slaping the naked PHAT ASS from your girlfriend for a SHARP CLAP?

Mantas

Diggin 4 Life
ill o.g.
the best advice i can give to yall is don't force yourself to make music..don't try to make say 5 beats every single day..spend that time listening to samples (if u sample) or just playing anything that pops in ya head (if u compose)..and u find that one hot sample u will immediately evoke your creativity and start bangin a dope beat..be picky with your samples, melodies..i see cats that sample every single record they can and make 5 beats a day..and it's no surprise than only one if none of the beats is decent..thats my 2 cents..

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
open mind said:
LMFAO

how about farting into the mic then pitching it up for a DRY KICK ?
or for some real WET OPEN HI-HAT shaking a coke bottle and opening it up ?
or slaping the naked PHAT ASS from your girlfriend for a SHARP CLAP?

lmao... wut about one of those real silent farts... and use it as a reverse crash?

members online