Best computer formusic production

no need to pay a fortune on a graphics card in a gaming rig.
I would recommend an i7 processor, 16gb ram, 500 gb ssd, firewire interface, and 2TB sata drive. The rest doesnt really matter too much. Brand doesnt matter, you can get a good pc for less if you build it yourself. That said, I would personally recommend an ASUS motherboard.

TBH i hate pc for music production. In my experience macs work so much better even though they are the more expensive option. you can build pc rigs but the lack of certain drivers needed to make everything work can be crazy sometimes. I use a macbook pro 15 inch touchbar etc. hasnt failed me yet.

TBH i hate pc for music production. In my experience macs work so much better even though they are the more expensive option. you can build pc rigs but the lack of certain drivers needed to make everything work can be crazy sometimes. I use a macbook pro 15 inch touchbar etc. hasnt failed me yet.
yeah that is a very fair point, I would like to add that windows 10 is not a good and stable operating system yet. Windows always needs a few years to get the drivers sorted. Windows 8.1 is pretty solid now, windows 7 even better, but I heard recently that microsoft is soon to withdraw support for win7 so no more updates, there is that to keep in mind. I know macs used to be better for music production, but thought that changed. You dont tend to get he same performance from a mac with the same spec as a pc due to throttling of the cpu to keep temperatures down to extend cpu life, at least in the laptop world. You cant use logic pro on a pc though. Ive never really played in the apple world, pc's is what I know about.

Drago Zetić

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 104
@2GooD Productions You're on the money on this.

@Flynn2019 Regarding music, here's some advice from my experience:

Intel CPU performance hasn't really had that much of a leap throughout this decade, so if you're looking to just build a PC, you might check out older used motherboards (early to mid 2010s), though they still hold up a lot of their value. Don't settle for the small, cheaper models because they won't be as expandable - get one that'll last you with support for up to 32 GB of RAM and a decent number of USB, PCI-Express and similar ports.

Look very carefully for the socket type because Intel made a ton of sockets and corresponding processors that aren't physically compatible (LGA 1155, LGA 1156, LGA 1150 etc.)

Don't know the specifics for AMD, but if your DAW and plugins play nice with multi-core CPUs, you might try finding a bargain for one of their 8-core FX series.

Assuming you go with this route of old hardware, you'll also need to get DDR3 (not DDR3L) RAM sticks that the shops no longer have in stock - I recommend 8 or 16.

As for graphics, just run with the integrated video output (if the CPU has it), you won't need 3D performance if it's going to be a dedicated music rig.

However, if you're going for new gear, go with the AMD Ryzen 5 series along with the appropriate DDR4 RAM - they've been killing it recently.

Microsoft are always busy pushing Windows 10, but it's an ugly, bloated mess of an OS that I can't recommend except for the LTSB version. 7, on the other hand, is solid, proven and reasonably stable, not to mention better designed.

As for Apple, I have no clue except that 2013-ish MacBook Pros seem to be some of the last great, upgradeable and somewhat repairable models they've made and have a decent resale value.

@Drago Zetić Id always choose pc over mac anyway, just because of Apples customer service and total contempt for their customers.

regarding the old hardware, if you are adventurous you could get an old xeon server pretty cheap, the adventurous part comes with stability hahahaha