Best Specs

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sorry to hear about you last giga board but right now and for quite some time they have one of the more rock solid intel boards and for i7 boards have been getting praises.

to the op, i don't know if you'll end up going to i7, i5, p45 or amd, but whatever choice you make, try to make sure that the cpu officially supports virtualization (to be able to utilize xp mode in win 7) and supports x86 and x64. another thing to look out for is hyperthreading but the juries still out about it's benefits for intels i7/i5

I don't think there's a current processor that DOESN'T support x86-64. Even Celerons are 64 bit now.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
but people are also getting older tried and true, and cheaper, cpu's to cut down on costs. same with mobo's.

speaking of software (and hardware) and their turtle like speed, here's a working solution, while they take their time, for bridging 32 bit vst's in 64 bit hosts, as well as allowing your 32 bit host to use 64 bit vsts beyond the 2/3 gb limit and it can also let you do the same with 32 bit vsts. it's also the best vst bridge solution for cubase 5 64 bit edition (sonar users are also using it along with bit bridge)

http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/ read the info and check the demo and the threads at kvr and gearslutz