best way of importing and working with samples in FL Studio??

• beat this! voting starts in...

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey fam,

it's been a while (like over a year) since I've used Fruity Loops / FL Studio but I'm thinking of checking FL out again when FL 6 comes out in the next month or so.

one question I have though is, say I have a loop that I chop up into like 4 or 5 parts, what would be the best way to import it into FL? into seperate sampler channels? something else?

thanks

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^^

word, with Fruity Slicer it makes the chops for you though right (without you being able to make fine adjustments)?

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
There is a program (beatslicer?) in which you can move the slicers and export the sliced beat in fruity loops... yeah you can make fine ajustement with it....

look it out!

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Personally, i use Recycle. you can do all the chopping you want and it saves as a .rex which can be imported into the fruity slicer. works great. i dont recomend slicing within the fruity slicer though. its hard to pin point

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
N.U.G. said:
hey fam,

it's been a while (like over a year) since I've used Fruity Loops / FL Studio but I'm thinking of checking FL out again when FL 6 comes out in the next month or so.

one question I have though is, say I have a loop that I chop up into like 4 or 5 parts, what would be the best way to import it into FL? into seperate sampler channels? something else?

thanks

i use sound forge to get my samples...but it sounds like you already got that part figured out.

everyone uses FL differently. i personally prefer to import each chop/sample as a different channel, and then select all the ones i want and import them into a new layer channel. using the set children feature, i spread them out along my keyboard nicely and play it out however it sounds best. just what works for me.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
If you got 1 bar loops I'd suggest that you import them on seperate sample channels. Then you could use the nifty time-stretch functions.

If you just got some chops I'd suggest that you use a plugin like Kontakt 2, or chop the sample up in Fruity Slicer and play the chops with Fruity Slicer.

Artistix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Hi-Lo said:
i personally prefer to import each chop/sample as a different channel, and then select all the ones i want and import them into a new layer channel. using the set children feature, i spread them out along my keyboard nicely and play it out however it sounds best. just what works for me.

How do you do this excatly step by step I have heard about this but never knew how to do it Thanks in advanced

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Artistix said:
How do you do this excatly step by step I have heard about this but never knew how to do it Thanks in advanced

For this example we'll suppose we're using, say, 4 different samples (I don't know exactly how high you can go but I would guess its as many keys as you have on your keyboard). Aside from the channels for whatever sounds you have, open a new one that is a "Layer" channel (go to menu, new channel, layer). Select the 4 samples you want to place on individual keys (you do this by either holding control and dragging across the green LED to the right of the individual channel buttons, or by using the shift key). Just so we're clear, because some people get caught up on that step...select one sample channel. See how the LED next to it goes from dark to green? You want that green light next to every channel you want to spread on the keyboard.

Once you have all those channels simultaneously selected, go to your Layer channel settings window. Press the button titled 'set children' once. Then click the downwards pointing small triangle next to the text "Layering" (its the menu for that part of the layer channel...right above and to the left of the set children button). From that menu, select 'split children'. Then press the 'show children' button. Now go back to your channel window and deselect the samples and select only the layer channel (ie just click on the layer button as you would for anything else). You now have your samples sequentially set along your keyboard.

One very important note...as far as I know you must have your MIDI device already hooked up and active to do this. Don't try to do the procedure and then plug in your equipment.