Better mainstream music in 2008-2009? Trackmasters return!

• beat this! voting starts in...

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I don't know about you guys, but I'm a huge fan of the trackmasters. I haven't heard a lot of their stuff even, I just love the work they did for L.L. Cool J, those songs have always been timeless to me.

Anyways, I came across the article on the remixmag website and i gotta say i'm excited. It was an awesome read and will be interesting to see what will result from this.

you gotta admit, 230 songs in 3 months.. in a studio, costing $300,000... wow. it'd be hella fun to be apart of something like that.

check the article though, it's dope!

http://remixmag.com/artists/hiphop_R&B/remix_hit_factory/index.html

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Yea i suscurbe to remix, i saw this article as well, but those 230 tracks are really on the back of other producers... They would just choose the best from 7 or 8 cats , tweak it a little, and let there writers get at it....Its not like they actually "made" all the tracks ,

they are more producers in the puffy sense of the term which isent bad at all, just different then what cats are used to on this site....
I actually know some of the producers that were in on those sessions, I think The are was one of them cats if im not mistaken....

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
they are more producers in the puffy sense of the term which isent bad at all, just different then what cats are used to on this site....
I actually know some of the producers that were in on those sessions, I think The are was one of them cats if im not mistaken....

Word! They should be labeled "great arrangers/facilitators" as opposed to "Producers". I'm not knocking there hustle but that's what they are. You should always be weary of big so called producers that completely fall off and then all of a sudden resurface. Unless those tracks go for the "low low" there's no way they'll place them all. Most labels have retreated to only using tracks from there "in house" producers due to the crippled economy and music industry. A lot of those tracks are probably going to be str8 fire but because some "rookie" producer that wants to get on so bad that he's willing to sell his soul, they'll never be heard. It's actually some sad shit to try and pimp that many up and coming producers because you made a little name for yourself in the biz. In my opinion it's part of everything that's wrong with the music business, greed! It would be a better look if they executive produced those up and coming producers and some new artist.

They're probably pushing to place those tracks with already established artists which will do nothing to improve hip hop, RnB or Pop music. If you're not trying to break new artist as a producer I'm really not trying to hear you!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
With an $80,000-per-track asking price, Track Masters aren't too far behind their one-time disciple, and despite slumping sales in hip-hop, the two believe there is still much money to be made in the business of making hit records. “When you're producing high-quality music, people value it. They want to buy it,” Poke says. “The problem with the music industry is that they're allowing disposable music to enter the market. That's just bad management. Track Masters are famous for making wide-selling music that stands the test of time. We know what it takes to be No. 1 because we've been No. 1 for damn near 20 years.” For them, if that means employing a 10-person staff and spending three endless months at a high-end studio, so be it. In the end, it's worth it to Tone and Poke because, “There is no No. 2 or 3 in this business,” Poke says. “If you're not taking your tracks to the No. 1 spot every time, then you're nothing at all.” That's the job of a superproducer.

hey...maybe its because theyre already an established production company that has ties that would pay 80k a track which provide them a guarantee for such revenue but ive seen nothing but major's drop cash on random "ok" producers from the street, spend 100 bucks a track for an album that has a different producer for each track or produced by the rapper who's fame got him to produce and guess what...i dont apply for all three of them while i can provide the same quality and content and niggas be asking 1k at much or else its to expensive lol sorry but dude's are probably on some kind of island cuz peeps here are doing well too so we should have at least sold 1 or 2 beats and made 30k out of it...

hey other than that its cool, i recognize some gear in their gearlist we use so i guess we're not doing half as bad as predicted hehe plus their sense of batch producing cought on familiar, concept, preparation, plan then execute...3 years out the running they said...hella nice time to bring up nothing but concepts. But somewhere i thought, wait a minute..what if this planned hype is caught on automatically by the major's then its more like a new trick to sell a remix revival of another "hasbeen"decennia. I remember god on a different topic how things are going back towards that 80's style then Trackmasters wouldve already calculated a comeback lol or the urge to "develop" the new hype for the majors (by the majors) has gone speeding up his pase.

anyway, just my 2 cts on urban music evolution, still not enough originals and too much relying on, with all respect, "hasbeen's" gimmick thing we get over and over...

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Trackmasters, damn. At least they know the formula:

1. Scan internet for dope tracks or receive open submissions.
2. Cut "deal" with rookie producer who has NO leverage in the negotiations (promise things like "this will get your foot in the door" when the rookie actually asks for something).
3. Give rookies money up-front for all rights or a small share of "publishing."
4. Add a couple things to the beat. Instantly become a legal "co-writer" - own half of publishing in the event of lawsuit. If rookie gave the track up for an up-front fee, they have no rights, except for a negotiated credit (if they were half-witted). If there is some publishing, have the rookie "sign" with your publishing company (so you control the cheese.)
5. Resell beats at a significantly higher fee to real industry cats.
6. Pocket the profit.
7. Visit Fiji.

I love hip-hop. Here's how the negotiation probably went:

TRACKMASTER (meeting ROOKIE): What's up homie?
ROOKIE (trying to act cool -- eyes give away his fear): It's all good.
TM: Look, this track "Shittinbricks" you have -- I think it's pretty good.
ROOKIE: Fasho.
TM: Yea, look -- I want to work with you... blahblahblah... good opportunity... blahblah... foot in the door... blahblahblah... after this maybe we can place you on other projects... blahblah... yeah that platinum record on the wall is from Puffy... blahblahblah... you have a lot of talent... blahblahblah... I have to go to Barbados and record Rihanna... blahblah... can you sign this before I leave...blah blah
ROOKIE: Okay...

Man, it's like they just wrote one script for the hustle, and everyone recites the same thing. It's awesome. Anyway, more power to Trackmasters for hustlin'. It shows cats on this site how things are really done.

LINK:
I wrote a really long post on something pertaining to this -- about writing pools. Here's the link, it'll open up your eyes if you haven't read it already:

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4566&highlight=pool

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I agree with what you guys say, but their formula (imho) sounds dope to me. Again, i'm basing that off the production they did for L.L. Cool J cuz i've always been fond of those works.

If it weren't for the trackmasters having the capital to invest in a project like that ($300,000 to rent a studio for 3 months? professional mixing, mastering? Professional guitar player and arranger at your disposal?), these producers wouldn't sound as dope without backing like that. No rookie producer could match a budget like that or have an established track record to I'd love to see what the contract percentages turned out to be, who knows if they are fair or not. Still though, those producers aren't putting up any of that $300,000 upfront investment.

$80,000 grand is hella steep. I just want to hear some better music. I have no idea what to expect, it might be nice though.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I agree with what you guys say, but their formula (imho) sounds dope to me. Again, i'm basing that off the production they did for L.L. Cool J cuz i've always been fond of those works.

If it weren't for the trackmasters having the capital to invest in a project like that ($300,000 to rent a studio for 3 months? professional mixing, mastering? Professional guitar player and arranger at your disposal?), these producers wouldn't sound as dope without backing like that. No rookie producer could match a budget like that or have an established track record to I'd love to see what the contract percentages turned out to be, who knows if they are fair or not. Still though, those producers aren't putting up any of that $300,000 upfront investment.

$80,000 grand is hella steep. I just want to hear some better music. I have no idea what to expect, it might be nice though.

True that $300,000 certainly helps. With the right hustle and talent you can match what these guys did with just less than 2% of their hefty budget (<$6000).

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
True that $300,000 certainly helps. With the right hustle and talent you can match what these guys did with just less than 2% of their hefty budget (<$6000).

As far as the sound, thats true..As far as the hustle from there, prolly cant match it.