Interviews BGrimm

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
bgrimm1-268x300.jpg

B.Grimm is an emcee from New Jersey, I've had the pleasure to collaborate with him on several occasions. He's recently released an album 'Everything Happens'. Now let's hear what he has to say.

Wattup B.grimm?

Same old thing. Just tryin' to stay on the grind.

Could you please briefly introduce yourself?

I'm an underground emcee from Northern New Jersey. My group affiliations include 'Grimm & Stress' and 'The Fantazmic 4'. I'm an independent artist, but I have ties to 'Last Son Productions' as well as the Salt Lake City based 'Penalty Box Recordings'.

When did you start emceeing?

I started writin' way back in '91, but I didn't really start recording and takin' it more seriously until around 2000. At that time, I recorded an album with a rock/rap hybrid band called 'X-Breed'. I left that band in 2002 to really start focusing on hip hop, and to refine my skills as an emcee.

How would you describe your style? I've noticed your lyrics tend to be dark and emotional, would that be a fair description?

Dark and emotional is fair, but I would describe my style as 'real'. I know it sounds a little cliche, but I always try to keep my music as real as I can. And lately, that reality has been dark and emotional.

Who are your main influences? Since you're from New Jersey, were you a big fan of the Redmans, Artifacts, LOTUGS and all the local acts back in the 90's?

And don't forget Naughty by Nature. I'm a huge fan of all of those artists, but I was more influenced by the likes of Slick Rick, A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, Nice & Smooth, Pete Rock & CL Smooth and Brand Nubian, just to name a few. I would say that A Tribe Called Quest's album, "The Low End Theory", was what actually made me want to be an emcee.

everythinghappens_cover1-300x295.jpg

You have recently released an album entitled "Everything Happens", could you please tell us about it?

It's a lot darker than some of the music I've done in the past. I guess I was going through a stressful time in my life while I was working on the album, and that is totally reflected in the music. I didn't even realize it as I was writing and recording to be honest. But once it was finished, and I listened to the entire album as a whole, I was like 'Damn, that's some depressing sh-t!" But I think it's something that a lot of people can hopefully relate to. Some people get stressed and they go out and kill people. Other people get depressed and kill themselves. When I get stressed or depressed, I write songs. It really is like therapy for me.

Who handled the production on the album? Any guests?

Production credits include DJ Corbett from Black Light Music, VTZ, Anno Domini, 2Deep & Allrounda, Slantize from Shadowville Productions, Sinima, Native Shook Entertainment, Flawless Tracks, Telling Beatz and some guy who calls himself DJ Excellence...I have two tracks on the album, 'Lifetime' and 'Don't Make Me', featuring Mike Booth, my partner from The Fantzmic 4. Also featured on the song, 'It Don't Phase Me', are Goods and Muja, both underground heads from NJ. My partner from back in the day, Animal Jones, also makes an uncredited appearance on the chorus of 'Lookin' At Me'.

Apparently, you and illmuzik's own Stresswon are very close, how did you two meet?

It was funny, because at the time we were living probably 5 blocks from each other in Newark, but we met over the internet. I think that was in 2004, but it feels like we been down for life. He has definitely been one of my biggest supporters, and I look forward to working together more in the future.

With whom would you like to collaborate?

I'm open to collaborate with anyone, but I've always wanted to do a track with Slick Rick and Q-Tip.

Thanks for your time. Any shout-outs?

I gotta give props to anyone who contributed to the new album, and of course to you and the entire illmuzik fam.

members online