big time producers hiring musicians to reproduce sequences

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
That's a great point because sometimes removing a certain element can change an entire sample and sometimes not. I think that it would depend on the element that is removed.

My attempt at an explanation...if you sampled a phase that said "HEAR THE DRUMMER GET WICKED" and you removed the word "WICKED", we would all know where that sample came from, yet at same time, to suggest that I couldn't use the words "HEAR THE DRUMMER GET" in my own song is crazy! So it could easily go both ways.

--dac

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
you really couldn't consider it sampling -- it's just a reproduction -- as long as the original piece wasn't touched -- and yeah -- if i could afford to do that -- i would also -- lol

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dre is notorius for finding a loop sequence he likes and then bringing in musicians to replay play them over his drum beat. I know if you look at the credits on his songs you'll come across the name I think its Hector Elizondo or something like that. He is Dre's keyboardist. Dre also just humms basslines to the musicians for hire and they play and add to them on point. If I had the luxury to have muscians at my disposal to come in and play what I was hearing in my head, I too would be a hot producer. Notice how Dre's track sounded befroe he was rich and could afford to bring in musicians. His stuff was mediocre and it was the lyrics of Easy E and Cube that really made NWA the shit. How do like them apples?

light

Producer
ill o.g.
yah all thats tru.. i just started bringing in more session musicians. personally i think it is some of the most fun ive had. as for replaying other peoples loops, i wont do that. Usually the musician and myself will sit down together and piece together the loop from scratch. sometimes ill do the humming thing or discribe what i want and sometimes i just let the musican do his thang.

P

pipecock

Originally posted by The Konductor
I think its Hector Elizondo or something like that. He is Dre's keyboardist.

Dre's keyboardist
elizondo.jpg

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
bottom line is sampling is very risky if your work accidentally surfaces in the public domain you're open to getting the big lawsuit ...I know, I know it wouldn't be hip hop without sampling but.....I have attended a few workshops on sampling, even if you filter it's still risky, and on Dre with live insruments that's called and interpolation it's considered the exact same thing as sampling even though it didn't come from vinyl, I mean wouldn't it be better if you made something original so that later on someone could sample it and get paid without your permission?????