Blowing Up

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Blowing Up

I've come to the conclusion that I don't wanna as we say"blow up". The beats thats I love and love to make , I don't think will ever get me anywhere on a commercial level. Even the way I wanna stucture songs, the radio or videos will never take. Like 8 minutes songs with 24 bar chourses not repeating the same thing. Or repeating the same thing more than songs on the radio. Or really anything that not a normal 4 bar intro , 8 bar chorus,. 16 verse, type stuff . I love to do songs with movemnent like SLY and The family. I do and will make the normal of course to get paid locally, but my heart is not into it all the way, just doing the same formula. so I know thats not my best, So its more than likely not gonna go pass the ghetto huslting I do with it now. I remember when you could go gold without any video and no radio play.

So my question is?

Do any of you guys out there make or know a producer that makes a good living, by producing with out blowing up or converting to the radio style, Do you think you can make a good living producing without stepping to the radio format of music,

Like cats like Jaydee and Elpee do you think these guys are making 6 figures. The only person I know that makes good money and is not what you would call blown up , he got like 300k to help score a movie. most wouldn't know his name but his crew is extra large. I think his situation is unique. Every producer I think is dope, who can play instruments, know engineering and every thing , I'm living way better than them, with just my day work. I mess with music cause I love it and don't see my self ever stopping. But just wanna know if anybody got examples of people coming form the heart with a non-commercial type stuff thats getting their bread.

NO I'm not in it all for the money just was doing some thinking.

Interested in what you anybody has to say if youve have thought about this and what you work out in your head,

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well, i say that you do what you do and if it strikes a chord with people you WILL blow up. thats the bottom line.... because you can introduce a different perspective to it, the way the roots did. they changed peoples perceptions of hip hop song structures, albeit a smaller portion as relative to the millions of people listening to commercial radio... i do not know or know of anyone that has done it to the extant that it sounds like you (and i) want to, but look rock groups: they do those types of things all the time, oasis had a song that was 6 minutes long (longer i think) and repeats the same chorus and verse through the whole song, and it was a major hit (breakout in the u.s, actually) so it is definatly possble.

i KNOW that it is possible to make it big without conforming to "radio format". norah jones, beck, radiohead, each of these artists, while not hip hp, do not really fit any mold and are hugely succesful. even Outkast has gone "experimental" with great results (b.o.b anyone? that "whole world" song?)

while these examples arent exactly what you are talking about doing, they show that you can break out and be different and still "blow up"....

it really will come down to your drive/determination, talent, and ultimately God's will for your gift (He did give it to you for a reason)

thats my two cents, hope it provided some insight.

E

Equality 7-2521

i know Mush Records hosts many experimental artists.

go to www.diryloop.com and click on ARTISTS

there is a short description off their style of music. There is a gorl on the lable called Lulu Mushi who supposedly makes very experimental out of this world beats.

So if your gonna be experimental....i guess you have to find an experimental label....which means you probably wont blow up too much.

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for the insights,

i think the key words is flexiblity,
Because of time I have to spend working, I sometimes feel I have to choose between going home working on a piece from the heart, or work on a Lil John/ crunk type beat so people will get a me more.
I read where this producer said he respect the artist he works with and follows the lead of what they do instead of forcing his signature sound on them. I think thats a dope mind set to have.

Mr_Black

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think y ou can make your money selling beats to up and coming rappers, but if your looking to blow up, in terms of commerical success, your gonna have to confrim to commerical music, study those dre, timberland, neptunes prodcution and notice how they produce beats like songs, they got the intro, the first verse, beats sorta change at the chorus then the first verse beat again, then they change up for a lil bridge (most notabliy on frontin by pharrel the way the beat switches before Jay z starts rappng ) then rap up the whole song..... I love how dre structres his beats cause he structres them like a song writer, sorta like the real slim shady beat, Every time shady sings the chorus, u here a lil new patch, then when end rips the verse near the ends of the vereses u here the organ that builds up to the chorus then when all said and done and eminems talking you here this weird sounding siren that pretty much ices the whole cake.... like I said, commericaly its just like writing a song, cept your doing it in your beats... but other then me flower talking, yeah w/o blowing up you can just sell ur beats to upcoming rappers you can find in most urban commuites(oh and uh ur beats have to be good...lol..)

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
yup... that is key. 40 bar loops are boring (they do have their place) and dont really show off a whole lot of ability. bridges, hooks, intros, etc.,..... are vital to success i think. of course it isnt a universal rule, but it is good practice to include these pieces into a beat.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i would say that outkast did that...to an extent...they came in the game with regualr sound structure but then came wit some new shit....i think u gotta just grind it out, make commercial shit till u get a decent following, then switch it up on some real shit..when outkast came wit rosa parks..(that stomp out session) and Bombs over Bagdad(that chanting thing)..that was some crazy shit..but it was goooood, flawless..if u come wit a whole entire new method your shits just gotta be that good. ...like truth said rock groups do it all the time ..but i think its easier in rock becaue there song structure is more open to change..anyways do your thing and id be interested to hear sum of your stuff.

members online