Brighter Hi End

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i was playing my beats to a signed UK emcee the other day and he was saying my beats could do with being 'Brighter' in the hi end, i understand low end theory and bass etc, but I'm wondering what techniques you guys use to brighten your high frequencies other than boosting them!

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
I know for myself and A.D... We Eq. our drums and whatnot while we're making the beat... it's always good to start at the source...

ill o.g.
Making things brighter without boosting? hmmmmm......

Several ways to accomplish things like that. Consider 3d space, not just frequencys. I always like to put my snare just a little tiny bit to the right and my hihats just a tiny bit more. this clears iup a bitmore room for other frequencys in the dead center. If you have a lead or somthing or guitar, maybe pan it left a bit, and have its reverb or delay or chorus or whatever panned to the right. eq the both a bitdifferently.

Sometime you can make things stand out a bitmore by doing things you wouldnt think of at first. for instance, sometimes you can make your hats stand out a bit more by cutting a bit off the highs and boosting the mids and miudlows a bit, same for snares. for basses you can boost some of the higher frequencies too, you can maybe use a parametric eq, have a deep low end, and a small bandpass maybe around 2k or so. maybe double a very low deep bass with apunchier higher one, taking several different sound system capabilities into consideration a bit more.

Just some thoughts.

Peace

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
JPeg said:
dont listen to UK emcees, especially signed ones.....

LOL.

I know there are some software mastering programs - i think the one im thinking of is called "Ozone" or something like that - which can give you harmonic exciters, where you can actually boost your highs with the turn of a knob... it's good for when you've done your final mix, but you want your highs/mids/or lows to stand out more.. check it out

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
JPeg said:
dont listen to UK emcees, especially signed ones.....

LOL !!!!!

i thought everyone in this country went for that muddy can barely make out wot sound it is type of finish ! they even gave it a name 'grime' !

but back on topic, i mean a cheating way to do it is to use a real nice crisp clean hi hat and have that a bit louder and maybe add sum hi-end to your snare, then if you clean up you bass sounds and kicks etc like just turn the bass down on them a bit or compress them usually gives a less cluttered more pinpoint sound ! this should help the mix of the tracks !

Pharaoh Lite

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
QUOTE: MarkN

i thought everyone in this country went for that muddy can barely make out wot sound it is type of finish ! they even gave it a name 'grime' !

LOL.

Whichever way you bring your hi ends out more, its going to have a lot to do with eqing, you've no doubt figured that out by now. That stuff about using a crisp hi hat: of course you could cut out some work like this but you want to able to use any sounds you want and still get the best possible frequency mix. Stick to the eqing: play around with the settings, play around with the panning of tracks, maybe even reduce some low end if the frequncies' range will allow.

members online