bring diggin

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
when you diggin do you just buy the record from just the cover, or do you bring a portable record player, like the technics one and the or the old school little kid battery powered one

ill o.g.
If there a dollar each, i buy by the cover.

But if i go to a shop where they already got a turntable that you can preview shit, i just use that,
but if its some place that dont have one, i bring my PT01.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i never take anything to listen to them on but i rarely go by the cover i usual hae some sort of educated guess that its gonna be dope like i know the record label, or a good type of music in a good year, or a link to another band i know are good or just ive heard the name !

ill o.g.
MarkN said:
i usual hae some sort of educated guess that its gonna be dope like i know the record label, or a good type of music in a good year, or a link to another band i know are good or just ive heard the name !

When i said i go by the cover, thats kinda what i meant. I dont just go and get random records.

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If the records or 50 cents or a dollar I will just pick out alot of them, half by knowledge of the artist, other on just feeling. I generally come out with some good finds. Pay about 50 dollars for about 100 records, get about 20 really good records and dib-dabs on the others and the rest is junk. But I always go back over the junk, ya neva know!

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I haven't had to buy anything for a while because my Dad gave me his collection but when I do start buying again I won't judge by anything but genre. I have pulled some wierd samples from places I would have never thought to pull samples from.

I won't listen to country to find some samples even though we saw in the last Battle That you can flip samples from anywhere. But I will stick to old Soul and Funk and Jazz.

I go for random records....thats the cool stuff about diggin.

Finding breaks were no one else has or will look. The more obsure the better, But it doesn't even have to be obscure. There are some beats that are recognizable and when you flip them into beats....that sh*t is tight. Like when Timbo flipped the Night Rider beat. Or when Camron had that Magnum PI beat. It doesn't work for everything like when Charlie Baltimore dropped that Night Court beat but my point is.....using breaks no one else would have tried to use is dope to me.

Hate to throw out the "Primo" example, but I guess he tends to do that a lot. Use samples from sources you can't ID and use them in ways you don't expect him too instead of just looping the two or four bar loop straight up.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^word...

I like to go for the weirdest looking cover...they usually have some wild samples in there to flip....

The crazier the cover......the better it is...lol

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Anything with "funky" on the cover usually wins me over, just make sure you stay away from German big band records lol

Hectic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I normally go for names I know or record labels I like. When I've been feeling rich, I've sometimes bought records because the cover looks good, but I don't do that that often.

I have made a lot of errors in the past by buying stuff I thought was something else. Most of the time when I do that, the record turns out to be bad but sometimes I get lucky and end up with something dope.

C

Carpe Diem

Usually just grab it anyways, usually cheap so no matter!!!