Build or Buy?

EvRy1~MaN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm thinkin about buyin a new pc cuz my old one finally gave out (poor thing)

So I spent all night searchin for decent pcs within my price range,but then I started thinking.

Would it be cheap to just build a decent pc than buying one?

I mean I can get my hands on quality parts (CPU,motherboard,ATX case,Ect.),and aside from the warrenty there seems to be no difference between a brand name comp and a DIYS pc.

But I don't know which would be more effective,I know I'll have to shell out a few more dollars then I want in order to get a quality pc,so there may not be any difference,but I've heard some good stories about home made pcs and I could learn afew things down the road.

Can I get some opinions here?

BTW:Heres the pc I plan on buying if I don't go with the building option.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1898457&CatId=0

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That Dell aint too bad, But you could probably build a better one for not much more.

What exactly went out in your old one? Any salvagable part's? [Hd, Memory, Power supply, Ect?]

Check out Pricewatch.com, they've ALWAYS got GREAT deal's on MB/CPU combo's.

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I built four PC's in the past few years and I'm looking to build a new DAW for myself. It's pretty easy and I saved quite a bit of money. They all work great and I never had any major problems. The thing I'm noticing NOW is that companies like Dell are offering some really decent packages for not much more than what I would spend putting a system together myself. I looked into DAWs from Sonica Audio Labs and Boxx and figured out what I would spend on making my own nearly identical clones and I would still save a nice chunck of change, but then I saw Dell selling some nice setups with flat screen included and even free shipping for even less money, so now I'm thinking twice.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
I would build or go with dell, i am getting my built its a buget daw 530 dollars, but it can run cause i got a fast processor in their and i can always upgrade the memory later.

EvRy1~MaN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Trust me...Theres no coming back for it.

z0n3d0u7 said:
That Dell aint too bad, But you could probably build a better one for not much more.

What exactly went out in your old one? Any salvagable part's? [Hd, Memory, Power supply, Ect?]

Check out Pricewatch.com, they've ALWAYS got GREAT deal's on MB/CPU combo's.

In order to fix the pc I'd have to replace the motherboard,and if I replace the motherboard I'd have to swich format meaning I'd have to get a new type of cpu,different ram,and other peripherals.

And believe it or not,the new parts would cost me an arm and a leg,so I just decided to scrap it,and start from scratch.

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
just like everyone else, i would go with building.

http://www.newegg.com

man, from my experience, dont mess with dell. im a network administrator and we use to do business with dell for our company's desktops and they didnt even last 2 years. and we got the "beefy" optiplex 4600s. and mostly everyone i know who had a dell, ended up dying on them. and i cant stand their customer service. sometimes companys will give you a fat package like a computer, lcd, and a printer for like 800 bucks. thats how they sucker people. those computers dont last though. but if you want to go with a company, i hold HP at the top of the bar. i've been through them all and HP is the way to go. thats my 2 cents.

members online