Building a PC

KNivez

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Hey any1 hear ever built a PC b4?

I'm thinkin about building a custom 1 optimized for music apps.

Proly throw in a intel P4 CPU,120GB hardrive space n 512 ram

wit a bangin soundcard,n a copy of fruityloops studio 5(gettin tired of sonar HS)

n i could get all thiz for ruffly $120!!!

so whut do ya'll think,would you do it?

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
How are you gonna get this for $120?

Anyways double the RAM size to 1 Gig. and make sure the hard drive is at least 7200 RPMs. IMO this would be better for music production. Good luck!

Ctrl

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
the motherboard with processor alone will cost you more than that.........I think you could build it for 400....(just the CPU)......I have built literally hundreds of computers of varying configurations......the one I run protools on is a 2.4ghz system with a gig of ram...P4.....its ok...not the most beefy but it works for me......nowadays though nice systems are so cheap it might be better to save your money and buy a brand new one and add to it....you can get more for your buck though and then you have support.......my question is why do you think there is a huge advantage building your own system other than you think its cheaper???? If I didnt have like a spare monitor or lcd and printer etc I would buy a brand new one....I think this is the last one I actually build....you can go to a computer show and get some parts but like I said....its gonna run into the same cost almost as a new Dell etc....or if you want a Mac look around for a G4 at least....here is an idea of how much the boxed cpu costs...

http://shopper.cnet.com/BOXED_PENTIUM_4_3_06GHZ_512K_533FSB_S478/4014-3086_9-20584407.html

by itself...LOL

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
KNivez said:
Hey any1 hear ever built a PC b4?

I'm thinkin about building a custom 1 optimized for music apps.

Proly throw in a intel P4 CPU,120GB hardrive space n 512 ram

wit a bangin soundcard,n a copy of fruityloops studio 5(gettin tired of sonar HS)

n i could get all thiz for ruffly $120!!!

so whut do ya'll think,would you do it?

AHAHHA for $120?? Are you sure you're reading it right? Better be off Ebay.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
120$.... whoa....

that's the normal price for the P4 chip itself... let alone a good bangin sound card, which is surely higher than 100$.
+RAM
+harddrive....

If you get that bargain for real, let us know, I'll pay the S&H to get that, for real

KNivez

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Allow me to explain myself

Ok,I know alot of u are thinkin I'm outta my mind when I made thiz post,but let me explain.

Heres my plan

I can go to globalcomputers.com to get a computer case for $27-30(S&H)
I already won a intel p4 processor off ebay for $13.99 (No LIE!!!),cop a decent motherboard at ebay for around $15.89(which I'm currently bidding on and shall proly onwnin aprox. 13hours),get a 512 stick of ddr memory ram from ebay or compusa(i'd go for ebay,Much cheaper!!)and us the $17.88 30Gig hardrive I won off ebay too,cop a $13 floppy drive or a cdrw/rom drive also from ebay and hook it all up.

Of course I'd have to also add a monitor,speakers,and a mouse with a keyboard,but as cheap as shit iz on ebay I could get all that for a minimum of $60!

Now I add it.

Case:$28.00
CPU:14.00
Motherboard:$16.00
Ram:$14.00
Hardrive:$20.00
Floppy or cdrw/rom driv:$14.00

Mouse,Keyboard,speakers,and Monitor:$62.04

Now my math iz'nt perfect but that might run you,$156 ruffly but the pricez may vary depending on the components u use.

But u guys don't have to do it,its just an idea,I'm just doing thiz because I wanna know whut I'm putting in my pc,don't want any useless features and $156 iz a hell of a deal,I'm only using the pc for music so I proly won't beef it up with so many features
and I'm not tryna spend $300(which iz the standard price for a DECENT pc)on a computer,I could take that $200 I saved n cop me some new gear or save it up.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
I cant hate on that. you got a good deal on everything

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
knives, i admire you if u shop for good deals like that.... thats dope ..... reminds me when I want to cheap stuff and my girl is saying, "no i want the expensive stuff" and in my head I just want to be like BITCH, I aint made of money.... ima the cheapest shit there is. But if she catch me saying shit like this on this... ima be in deep shit.... but ..... yea..she aint never gonna check on this lol

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
That would be a good deal; considering that all of that stuff works when you get it. Sometimes buying stuff off of ebay is like spinnin' a roulette wheel. LOL! Especially with sensitive items like computer hardware.
ONE

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Yeah you have to think that all these components have to work well or nothing works at all. I built the pc i'm using now an it was a headache. No support like BigTracks was sayin and when the computer hangs up and you have no reason why it happened then that is stress!! But on the other side of the token, the prices are very cheap and after you get over the stress of fixing your computer over the next few years you will be able to handle most computer issues yourself without expensive repair charges. good luck though

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
can't be mad at you shopping for the deals homie. but considering what you're wanting to do, it might be in your best interest in the long run, pay a lil more from a reputable source, that garuantees their items incase sum'n is or goes wrong, and get your money's worth. granted yea..160 bucks but (and not tryin to discourage you either dawg) how much is the potential trouble,headache and inconvience gonna run ya. sometimes a peace of mind is worth the loot. But do your thing homie, if all goes down for you like it should. more props to ya homie. Peace.

Louie Lou

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Thats some good dealing.

I build all of my PCs thru newegg.com. They have the best deals on computer components on the net if you ask me.

Your taking a chance with buying a processor on ebay. Most of these processor have been tampered with to increase the speed.

Motherboards can be outdated. Your processor might not work with that motherboard correctly if at all.

I am a computer tech and I hang out at computer forums alot (MSI, ATI, AMD, etc) and there is always someone that did this and got stuck with crap trying to figure out what when wrong.

Do your research on the motherboard your using before you win the bid.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
^^^^And, you also need a good sound card (and a decent video card)