Buisness Question

ill o.g.
Whats up everybody, I just had a quick question.

Im finishing up a few of my beats. And I already have some people that would like to buy them. Im from Dayton,Ohio and around here, there isn't really anybody serious about producing or producing at all. And if they are, there buisness sense isn't there. I just dont like wanna be thug cats approaching me, telling me they shit is tha fire, and I need to cop it.

To me, that is just too unprofessional.

Ive noticed that producers at home or online, have a few options, when you buy a beat. I have noticed that you can lease a beat for a one time use, but they still own the beat. And then you can outright purchase the beat and its yours.

I think this is the route I am gonna try and go. My question is, are there any people on this site that do that, and do you use contracts. I really want to keep my business in order, so I want to use reciepts of sale, and a contract stating, either you own the beat or, you just leased it.

I was wondering if anyone had any contracts that they use, or any documents, so I could look over them like a template. Or maybe somewhere on the web, that might give me some information.

like I said, when I start doing this, I want to be as professional about it, as I can. Any Advice would be appreciated.

One Love

Lo-Key

ill o.g.
There are a few people around Columbus, Oh. that had an interest in purchasing my beats as well, and the way I had thought about doing it was this; send your music to the library of Congress and copyright it. You can print the forms off of the web and all of the instructions are there. http://www.loc.gov/copyright/
Then you could sell the beat. I'm not sure about leasing though, I've never heard of that
Another way that may possibly work would be to write your own contract up and have the purchaser sign, then get the document notarized... or do a combination of both.
Definately keep all of your reciepts. You can get little reciept books at a Wal-Mart or something for taxes or whatever, for proofs of sale/purchase.
These are just some ideas I've thought of. I hope it helps you out a little bit. Since your in Ohio get at me or if u got a link post it up. My email is eleclipse2002@yahoo.com I should have a link to a few beats up soon. I'll let u know when it happens.

D

djrob

contracts

hey wutup 1st there r no such things as leasin a beat its either buy it out right , get the rights give them there publishing or points how ever the both of u set it up in the contract . yes u do need a contract . ima send u 1 of my joints but u need a lawyer to draw u up some for yourself .
again those who lease beats jus wants ya doe ... as do all studio producers if they put ther're joints online its fair game in my opinion if u use it and get caught without there permission
its fair game 4 them 2 sue so make sure u get permission.
djrob

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i think what you guys are talkin bout with the whole leasing thing is selling your beat non exclusive basically for demos and things as opposed to for albums for major profit,you can write contracts so they cannot resell your beat or use it comercially for profits

ill o.g.
Yo, thanks for eveyrone's reply, I will use the advice, yeah highlite I think your right. I think thats what I was really trying to say. Thanks for clearing that up

one love

highlite80

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
no problem,don't forget to peep my shit in the showcase

p.s.i'm savin the best for the comp!!see you at the show

B

BoogieMan

Beat Leasing is the way to go. It's how I do it. First of all, it gives the one buying it a cheaper cost for demo production. If you lease a beat, you still keep the rights to it and still own it. The buyer has the right to make his demo with it and shop it for a deal. However, should they land a deal with that beat and they want to use it for their newly signed LP, then they have to buy it from you. That is when you strike up the price to a nice juicy sum and work out the royalties and producers rights.

Peace