Buy a iMac or PC?

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I want to purchase a computer for my pro tools mbox. I'm not sure if I should go mac or pc. The imac g5 is looking real attractive right now. I'm leaning towards that but I'm wanting to know if anyone is using the imac g5 to edit/produce? If so, how is it working out for you?

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
powermac g5, my homies use an imac g5, and they don't have no problems. my cousing just got the new core duo imac but he's still settin it up.

PCs are cheaper though... it all depends on you whether you should go PC or Mac. Macs are more expensive up front, but they're cheaper in the long run, becuase they're easier to maintain and troubleshoot. PCs are dirt cheap but you damn near need an A-Plus certification to keep it working.

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
mp3 said:
powermac g5, my homies use an imac g5, and they don't have no problems. my cousing just got the new core duo imac but he's still settin it up.

PCs are cheaper though... it all depends on you whether you should go PC or Mac. Macs are more expensive up front, but they're cheaper in the long run, becuase they're easier to maintain and troubleshoot. PCs are dirt cheap but you damn near need an A-Plus certification to keep it working.

MP3 is right on the money here. If I may add one more thing to think about, do you work in FL to make beats, SoundForge? If so, then you'll have no other choice but to go the PC route since there is no version of FL for Mac and I don't think there is a version of SoundForge for your sample chops and edits but I have something like that for the Mac if you PM me.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Well IMHO, PC or Mac is not such a big deal anymore. It's more a matter of preference. Even more so that Apple has started using Intel processors. I am running Protools 7.1 on a Dell 9150 (I started with 6.9) and I have never had a problem; even when using mad rtas and tracks. It runs smooth as hell. You just have to make sure that you check the specs of compatible computers on the digidesign website before you buy. That's what I did and that's why I have no problems. Also, the PC costs half the price of a Mac with the same specs. Weigh that shit out bro'.
ONE

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The best answer I can give you is this:

Sit down and make a list of software you need to run. Once you have the list compiled, Look at any pieces of sw you would like that are platform specific. By that, I mean sw that will only run on a PC or Mac (Logic and DP on Mac, FL Studio on PC). That will determine which to go with. If you end up with all sw selections that will reside on either platform (for instance PTLE7.1, Cubase, and Reason), your best bet would be to give both OS'es a test drive. Give it some ample time too, find out how intuitive is the interface TO YOU (screw what everyone else says, you have to live with this decision, not them). How easy is it for you to navigate around? Look at the cost of peripherals if you need them, how easy is it to upgrade? These are the things you need to look at and once you do, you'll be able to make an informed decision.

Personally, I use a PC. I've owned PC's, Macs, SGI, and Sun machines in the past. PERSONALLY, my Macs saw the least amout of use because I simply didn't like MacOS (OS7-9.2.2). I was also a PC/Mac technician for a large (global) advertising/marketing firm (my branch did all of Daimler Chrysler's advertising and marketing, our New York office is responsible for all of the glitzy Pepsi commercials). When we got OSX in house, I had determined (FOR MYSELF) that the poor performance was not worth it. I spent weeks with OSX and ultimately got rid of it. It looks nice, but eyecandy does not make for a better OS, just a better looking one. Same for XP, when we got it in, my first complaint was it's poor performance and the eye candy, all wasted clock cycles. In the end, I rolled my laptop back to 2000 Pro.

The only reason I use XP now is because it's required by ProTools. If it weren't for that, I'd still be using 2000.

Doc Henny

ill o.g.
i love the imac g5 i bought....its what i use and i don't have any problems, plus no spyware or viruses. but i heard that some people had trble using the mbox w/ it, so to be on the safe side i would look online about mbox compatability with the imac before i bought nything.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
yeah I know, there's more going on about it but im also wanna see how they get over the child diseases but its a killer anyway.