can anyone fuck with the wu?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I love these conversations because they aren't unique here on Illmuzik, it is definitely a producer convo (but not purely) so everyone has their opinions, I give props to all of the pioneers no doubt, but a legend is a legend, you can't see where we are by cutting any artist out of the past that has left their mark and did it in a Unique way, all I know is they owned more than a few years of production and airtime out of the 90's when you look at them with their IKons, symbols clothes, and almost CULT following...that's xtreme but I think you can say CULT following than any other hip hop crew...who cares if they sampled rain falling on ya rooftop, it rocked and I don't agree with if you sample their sounds you got WU TANG there's been others who already tried that and they didn't become WU TANG......or if you sample the Chinese that to me a way too oversimplified view of what they did....go back like I said and do some listening I think the thread was just about whether anyone was actually on that level....as a whole and there weren't any period that had the impact for their time up to now.....is anyone touching that ?B2k maybe???:dance:

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
hmm.. i would have to say that as a crew- what they have produced in sheer numbers and styles..... i mean you got dirty and meth gettin serious mainstream attention, the fact that everything ghostface drops is harolded as a masterwork, rza laying the blueprint for COUNTLESS producers (as influential as premo and dre and timbaland if you ask me...) to do their thing with...

but lets not forget NWA..
peep the family tree!

Eazy E- Bone Thugs
Dre- Snoop, Eminem, Nate Dogg, Warren G, kurupt, daz, d12...
cube- mac 10,WC... Westiside Connect....
not to mention his hollywood impact (dude is RUNNING a company, DIRECTING, PRODUCING movies....two franchises with barbershop and friday, boyz in the hood...).... overall i would say they had a far greater impact.... but the wu is defintley a force...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Truth once upon a time there was Gangster Rap...and there was Hip Hop...only in RECENT years did Gangster Rap aka NWA, DOC etc \Luke Skywalker variant music(dirty south bounce)....become unfortunately lumped into the HIP HOP Genre unfortunately....that I blame on the Industry and the Charts like billboard.....so now everthing is hip hop that has some beat and Rap...it wasn't really like that in the Early 90's moving thru that era..ya know???....its a fact now though but the West Coast, South Coast Style of Music was not actually what one thought of at THAT time as Hip Hop(MUSIC)....Gangsta Rap....Scarface......Ghetto Boys.... etc...ask anyone that is knowledgeable of that time period when did things really start to change as where the dividing line was.....it is a recent phenomenon.....but we gotta go with that because that's what the Million $$$$ labels and Charts call all music that has either a rapper or even a funky rhythm....HIP HOP(MUSIC) and that my man is unfortunate....but a lot of the Roots of the East Coast West Coast Rivalry were seeded in those differences to a certain extent as we all know....but since a lot of this evolved you see the end product....a lot of Fire Beats....Meshed with Violent Murda and killing, I'll body you Bitch I'll smack you themes.....50....Ja...and yes Going back to Biggie and PAC but Things do evolve I think it could be good or it could be bad.

bluntology

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ide have to say shawn desman is the illest

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Yo BigD,,,ya spittin the truth man! Werd is bond! I remember the same way. As soon as a few "studio gangstas" got some sales, that was it. It really sucks man, because emcees out today(real emcees) arent gettin no burn. case in point...When was the last time the local radio station played some Wu,,,,,,exactly!

T

The Bastard

everyone mentioned is tight as hell no doubt,but i dont think they r the answer to who has produced and contributed more , i really cant think of any crew that have founded more music, new talent as wu tang ,a few of the members got theyre own crews now raekwon ifound ice water u gods startin a crew up the hillside scramblers ,u got the killa bees u got north star black nights, odbs brooklyn zoo ,true master ,killarm, wu syndicate , 12 o clock , 9 th prince,beretta 9 , remedy,shyheim, street life , killa priest and theres a lot more and they commin out with new artists and music every year

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Originally posted by Kevin A
If you wanna produce like the wu, all you have to do is sample from old Kung Fu Flicks. Although the the translations are garbage, the music scored to the films are still good music, I could see that, Rza could see that, and you can see that because you like his stuff. He basically started sampling from a untapped resource (fu flicks) and made a killing. Not to mention he's a better sampler than your traditional 4 and 8 bar stealer so he did bring some stuff to the table with him. The production on ODB first album was great, The song called snakes with the five deadly vemons sample was off the chain. But if you use the same resource, you'll have the same sounds. It's not a rza sound, it's a asian (chinese) sound. The chinese, where are their props? their movie scores, their sound fx's, you would expect to get that clue from the name, and nig's runnin around acting like they know Kung FU. It's a chinese thang.

Peace

most of rza's best material was sampled from soul records or done sample free.... cream..tearz... all i got is you ..can it be so simple.. most of supreme clientelie/liquid swords and most of the ironman album and cuban linx were either made by soul/funk samples or made with no samples the bobby digital soundtrack also had very little if any chineese sample usage ... he used the samples for voice snippets and a small percentage of his tracks over the years but on the whole he used mostly soul/funk records .. i have made it a personal quest to find the original records rza sampled from and i have alot of them and they are mostly soul records .... but i do agree that the chineese/japaneese come up wit some dope shit ... i watch alot of japaneese animation and the scores are dope as hell

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
woah woah... hold up. WAIIIIIIIIIITTT. RZA's sound is NOT unique because of the Kung-Fu samples.... check "Supreme Clientele". Would that album be unique for sampling a cartoon of a comic book??? hell no. It's a combination of who,what,when,where,and why he samples what he samples that makes him unique. Throw in his philosophical mindstate, and a whole bucket of other stuff, and you got RZA's sound.

Oh, BigDMakinTrax, you are right, we are fools for forgetting about 4th Disciple, he is EXTREMELY talented in his style. It would be nice for the wu tang to produce outside their camp, though. I think Rakim would sound nice as hell over a rza/mathematics/4th Disciple track. I could come up with infinite collaborations that would boost everyone's status.

Oh, ARTMPC, yes, Run DMC WAS before wu-tang, and they DID do things no one else did.... but that's because there weren't too many people before them. What if Kanye West had his style back then, or what if wu-tang took off at the same time as Run DMC? hell, you could do anything back then and it was unique, because no one did it yet! now, it has to be an effort to be unique. You have to be almost bizarre to be trendsetting because there isnt a trend that is left over... it's all been raped.

but yes, Run DMC did their thing originating. Wu-Tang did their thing INNOVATING. I don't know which is better or more important, and i really don't care. All i know is that the golden age of hip hop is past us and it will NEVER return. Never.

"......My life flashed before me, I'm there from the sounds
I hear/ pinpoint the year, it's perfectly clear/
I like the way it went down and alla that, in fact/
It mean a lot, cause you can't bring it back, remember that....." -Rakim

c-dub

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I"m sorry to say but the Wu has lost some of its glory. The last cd that was bangin was the double cd,Wu Tang Forever ,joint and how long has that been? Individually, the only one who came correct recently was Inspectah Deck. Ghostface's joints I heard were ok, but not bangin like the Iron Man cd. Now that most of them have had success solo, its seems egos are getting in the way of them making true Wu Tang bangers. Its time to go back to basics Wu Tang.

Marval

I need work
ill o.g.
Wu all the way with me but if it wasin't for the ones before them we wouldin't have half the dope groups we have around today D.i.t.c is deffinitly up there J5 Bcc but the Wu all the way for sure but the credit needs to go to all the members of the Juice crew Run dmc etc... and all them old school cats for paving the way.

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
i heard a new track by dipset where cam dissed meth i think he is gonna catch a sharp sword to the mid section

Marval

I need work
ill o.g.
Why's Cam dissing Meth ? and Cam with deffinitly catch a sharp sword to the mid section razor sharp.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
KENWOP said:
i heard a new track by dipset where cam dissed meth i think he is gonna catch a sharp sword to the mid section

WHAT!? Cam dissed Meth? What's the name of that track? I wanna hear how wack this shit is... Dawg is a nerd fa real for that one...

ill o.g.
damn what happened to a tribe called quest ???, they wasn't serious ???, epmd, naughty by nature, onyx, and a bunch of other groups. wu was good but i don't think they was superior to these other groups. there was too much competition back then.

I

I.Q.

BASTARD said:
i dont think any other crew has contributed to hip hop more than the wu
Soul Sonice Force, Run DMC, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, 3rd Bass, Gangstarr???
I know Hip Hop wouldn't be Hip Hop without these groups. Wu-tang is my favorite Hip Hop clique of all time and consisted of some of my favorite artists (Methodman, Ghostface, GZA) but if it wasn't for groups like Run DMC there wouldn't be no Wu-Tang.

T

The Bastard

I.Q. said:
Soul Sonice Force, Run DMC, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, 3rd Bass, Gangstarr???
I know Hip Hop wouldn't be Hip Hop without these groups. Wu-tang is my favorite Hip Hop clique of all time and consisted of some of my favorite artists (Methodman, Ghostface, GZA) but if it wasn't for groups like Run DMC there wouldn't be no Wu-Tang.

thats not whut i meant man im not tryin to say wutang started this rap shit. im tryin to say what crew has put out so many quality albums? . we're talkin about 4 group albums and 2-3 solo albums from each member. thats like 30 fuckin albums . not countin all the new school cats they put on like black knights and north star. thats a lot of fuckin contribution to hip hop

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
im not sure the name cypher sounds playd it on 97 i was at work so im sure yall will here it .i know i was not feeling that garbage

members online