can classic albums still be made....

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by highlite80
i know alot of people will disagree but i personally think pharoh monch's internal affairs was the last classic album TO ME i can listen to the whole thing without skipping anything this is only my opinion though

Hell no Highlte80! I ridin' shotgun with you on that one! That entire album was great. "No Mercy" with M.O.P. is one of my favorite tracks.

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
BUT THATS JUST ONE TRACK.. AND TO ME THEY SAID RADIO ON THAT ONE .. I LOVE GANGSTAR.. BUT I THINK THEY PLAY IT SAFE 2 MUCH... I WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING FROM THEM THAT MAKE ME SAY DAMM... THATS GANGSTAR... WAIT THATS GURU... WAIT THATS A PREMO BEAT...
SO FAR I FEEL THAT THERE STICKING TO A FORMULA AND I'M TIRED OF IT...

D

drew_petti

there has to be balance

all music has it's place.

mad scientist, and truth told...I respect your opinions.

MY OPINION is that Aquemini, Blueprint, The Fix, and Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, and In Search of... were classics.

At least to me...but who really cares. Just dont talk bad about Face..hahahah...

:rolleyes: :shootout:

MY DAD IS STRONGER THAN YOUR DAD!!!!!

Come on, folks. We are allowed to like what we like.

Kayne West, just Blaze, Bink, Rick Rock, Quik (all time favorite producer), Dr Dre are all fan-fucking-tastic.

and I really enjoyed snoops last album.

B

Bill

yeah, in nowadays its all just formula work or making hits that guarantee frequent air play. Artist always go to producers like the neptunes to make the hits for them. And by the way Blue print 1 is a classic album despite the over use of samples.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
themucka : I think you're wrong about saying the Gangstaar formula is generic ....

To me there are 3 main Gangstaar periods :

The Jazz period 1989-1992 : definitively softer ,jazzier than today, drum breaks are used almost all the time, the sound is very organic...

The hard period 1993-96: the group at its toughest (both lyrics and music) , lots of agressive sampled strings , Preemo was still into breaks ... sampling sources include diverse music genres

The Jazz/Funk period 1998-2003 : the drum breaks have completely disapeared , replaced by Drum programming, samples mainly come from the distinct mini genre of Jazz/Funk (explicitly the union of both Jazz and Funk structures , ex: Axelrod,etc ...), the whole sound is a cross between their early jazz style and rough mid carreer sound, keyboards are used for basslines, ... lyrics are less agressive but still deliver a message...

C

Copenhagen

Jay-Z has 2-5 hot tracks on each album but I don't think that makes any of them classics. There's not one of his albums I can listen to from start to finish without skipping at least 1-3 tracks. Same goes for e.g. Nas...apart from of course Illmatic...that album is worth 6 mics + more. Not to offend any fans, I like both rappers...I just only consider Illmatic a classic.
I know everybody has a difference in taste but that's just my opinion. It's also my opinion that people call out "it's classic!" too often. Saying that is similar to saying to a girl "I love you"...you shouldn't say it unless it's the absolute truth...otherwise it looses it's meaning/power. I hope the danish phrases etc didn't get lost in the english translation. :)

nasir jones

The Perfectionist!!
ill o.g.
I think that stillmatic is a classic!!

C

Copenhagen

Watch your tone, SplitPersonalit...a difference in opinion doesn't mean you should jump on the guy... ;)

B

BoogieMan

I agree with what a lot of you are saying here. I haven't heard a classic album in years either. Albeit, Im not too impressed with a lot that comes out these days anyway. I mean, how many times can you tell me that you're from the streets, bangin, slangin, ho'in, and buck whilin; and still keep it interesting for me?

But face it. In this day and age, underground just aint what it used to be. Artists can't sell numbers by "keeping it real" anymore, so they gotta succumb to the woes of commercialized rap. When artists that are ten years strong in the game doing underground aren't making as much money as the new kid on the block and his P. Diddy style, well, can ya blame them for going commercial?

For years I told myself I would remain true to the game... keep it real... shyeah.. whatever... Keeping it real isn't paying the bills. Just gimmie my friggin royalty check and swing this puppy on the radio for all its worth. Im still walking while I watch people like Scott Storch drive by in his Bentley every day.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
SpLitPerSonaliT, ease up. Copenhagen is a moderator here and all he was doing was trying to keep people in check before things get out of hand. Take it easy.

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by SpLitPerSonaliT
you watch your tone copenhangen.. talkin to me u better talk right

SpLitPerSonaliT, I hope the above is a joke.
I was attempting to keep the peace and saw no need for you to take on that tone with Mad Scientist just because of a difference in opinion.