Can I Copy Right a Sampled Beat?

P

Pusher Man

Can I copy right beats i created using samples in the melody..I just dont want to get screwed over sometime sooner or later when working with people to sell or showcase my beats because I dont have them copyrighted...
So would there be any legal problems on my part by copy righting beats that have samples in them?

Thanks

tony needles

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It depends on what you sample. if you sample an artsist who had or has a contract with a big label, then you can get the copyright, but it will take longer and you gotta pay royalties. But in the long run, its better to get it taken care of, because unless you make a lot of money off of the track, you wont have to pay ish. if you do, your just finna have to pay the company a certain percantage of your earnings, it wont be outrageous, but they just tryin to tax people. my advice, always be lookin into copyrighting your beats, but unless the the track is really gonna jump off, dont worry too much about it. hope this helps
Tony in Queens

johnbeans

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
no doubt, tony, dat explains alot for me to,

Mox of Blazin'

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yea

i had the same question about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but Big D helped me out on it.

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
in short? NO.. IMO, you used a sample, that sample is the copyright of the original owner, recreating remixing or whatever you did, doesnt change the fact that its not originally your work. but as tony said it depends on what u sampled. however, it will also depend on how successful the sampled track becomes isnt it? or how mingy the holder is.

obviously youve added something to the sample soyou have recreated a new song, so you have some copyright perhaps, but it depends on how much of the sample you use and how much of an impact it has in the song.. take crazy in love by beyonce for example..thats a sample, but the whole chorus is based on a sample..so thats gonna be some serious %age to the original holder. it all depends on what u use in the song,.