Can Someone analyze this Contract for me?

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
good lookin out times 10. yea man i dont want him in anything that he dosent need to be in like legal shit. jus negotiatin prices for beats. (thats what he said he will do) i dont doubt that but this contract is geared more toward artists than producers. check this list of stipulations i want added.

the contract needs to clarify the folowing:

1. how the royalties will be seperated
2. who gets what percentage.
3. who gets the publishing rights (he is tryin to sign me to his management company) i better be able to keep my publishing or the deal is off.
4. how much i will sell the beats to his label for.
5. what my duties are as a producer, and his as a manager.
6. EXACTLY how his company will promote me (t.v., radio, internet etc.). he is chargin me extra percentages for the marketing and promotion so he better have some good shit.

and i want a couple new terms added:

1. the manager has 4 months to make an industry sale or the contract is terminated.
2. the manager must show proof of sale by reciepts.
3. the producer keeps all publishing rights
4. the producer maintains the right to shop beats for hiself.
5. i maintain the right to do business under fruntline Ent.

jus because you're young people try to bullshit you like you dont know anything, or will fall for anything...im not the one. he came to me askin to be my manager not vice versa.

C

Copenhagen

Some of the stuff you mention will be outlined in the agreements you make to whomever you sell a beat to, and not your agreement with him.

Also, I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't both shop beats yourself and do business under you own name, as well as use him. It's either or...
When being under a management company you refer everybody to him, and let him deal with it.

Furthermore, some of the beat sales he might set up might include you loosing your publishing right, but gaining a larger one time fee (depending on how good he is or how big the company he is dealing with is).

If I was you, I would set up the agreement so that you are able to terminate at any time, given 30 or 60 or 90 days notice. Then just get the basic stuff down, and sign. Then see how it goes. If he doesn't get you any sales, terminate. If he cheats you, terminate. If he doesn't cheat you, and get's you many sales and at good prices, where you still get royalities etc, then keep him, and perhaps re-negotiate the agreement.
Worst case scenario, you might loose a couple of beats. On the other hand, you might sell a whole lot. Too me, it would be worth trying, and perhaps loosing the beats.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
but what the hell right, it's a year and you are bound to make some dolla dolla for more and better equipment (we all need that shot) plus he'll be making contacts for you, so that you can eventually turn it into your own hookup.

copen is right about tryin it, I would probably do it.

Good luck either way.

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you should find a musicians Union or something, that coudl save you huge attorney costs.

members online