Changed from VST to real Bassguitar

1. RizzakBeats

RizzakBeats

Battle Points:
    Hey illiens,

My Samplers don't sound as good as a bassguitar I'm used to hear on soul, jazz and rock recordings. Also I have a musician-friend who is in a metal band and he owns one although he is a guitarist. Everytime I had some smooth beats I had to ask him if he has the time to play it for me. He told me that those guitars are not too expensive. So yesterday I was at my local musicstore and went to buy one. It's an Ibanez and I tried it on some of my beats. I don't know if it is like a placebo effect because I spent around 300€ for everything (guitar, cable, belt, safety locks) and I'm thinking like "this HAS to sound better because I spent money for it" haha, but it gives my beats a way thicker and way warmer sound.
    I love the organic feeling to it because I'm about to get sick of all quantized plastic sounding presets of my logic. (But still using "Retro Synth" with my own synthesized Basssound)

Does anyone of you have a bassguitar and uses it for making beats? If yes, do you feel like it improved your sound and why? Do you have some tips & tricks on the sound or the mix? If you don't own one, what kind of synthi or instrument do you use for your baseline?

(shoutout to the musicstore seller who got me some €'s off the total amount :up2::up2::up2:)

2. Fade

Fade

VIP Member
    Beat Scientist
    Administrator
    *** ill o.g. ***
    Battle Points:
    Congrats on adding a bass guitar to your setup! It's something I've considered as well. I always thought it would be great even just to pluck a string here and there and then sample that, then chop it up. Let us know how it goes as you continue to use it.

What I usually use is bass samples or sometimes a bass VST that I'll play on the pads when I'm mixing.

3. RizzakBeats

RizzakBeats

Battle Points:
    Thanks, for my last Beat I made, the We Got Love flip, I also used my bassguitar and then recorded a little loop and sampled it. It works very good in my opinion, but I'm curious about how it will be when I want to record a longer sequence. I'll let you know.

4. crosstevsky

crosstevsky

beats architect
    Battle Points:
    I don't have a bass guitar in my set up, but I plan to invite my friend to record some basslines for me, and see what will come out. Also we are planning to come up with some sort of a live hip hop act...

RizzakBeats likes this.
  5. RizzakBeats

RizzakBeats

Battle Points:
    You have to tell me after your record session what you think about the sound of the bass guitar. I guess some live hiphop act could be actually pretty dope :) :up2:

crosstevsky likes this.
  6. OGBama

OGBama

ILLIEN
    @RizzakBeats main investment if you bought a bass guitar is some lessons and from there decide how much time you want to commit as that is the key to greatness.

JAY UNO likes this.
  7. JAY UNO

JAY UNO

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    Man I've been wanting a bass guitar. I find myself fattening up basslines constantly, and I'm not fully satisfied with my current setup. Congrats. Keep producing.

8. JAY UNO

JAY UNO

ILLIEN
    Battle Points:
    Dropping jewels as always. Ogbama!

9. RizzakBeats

RizzakBeats

Battle Points:
    @OGBama Yeah, nothing is better than lessons to learn it the right way :)
    @JAY UNO if you have a friend of yours who owns a bass guitar, hit him up and work together on at least one song so you can see if and how it does improve your sound. for me, I'm totally satisfied :up2:

10. ILL-GREEN

ILL-GREEN

Monster One
    I used to play basslines on a keyboard synth. I picked up a guitar but it was a mess of discorded noise. I felt I can never get with string instruments. Then one day, Toys R Us had a sale on a little guitar for kids and I said what the hell, lets try this again. I took it home and cut off the thin fine strings and just left the 3 fat strings and taught myself bass. Took a couple years, began playing basslines as good as when I made them on the keyboard.

For me, there is no difference. I played the same melody, same measure and same timing. Only difference is the instrument the sound is coming out of.

However, I do prefer to create basslines on the bass instead of on the keyboard. There is more control and I can pick up the notes and execute them to tape quicker.

I always prefered stringed bass though. Even when all I had was a keyboard. I spent a lot of years trying to make a Casio sound like Charles Mingus, had an SP505 at the time too, and I would get busy trying to make a mechanical bassline sound supernatural with all its FX. When I got tired of the tedious work, thats when I got that little guitar.

Fade likes this.