Chill Hip-Hop Beat

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Hey All,

Between work and travel, I haven't had much time for music.

Carved out the day for myself today, and came up with a short, but sweet, chill beat.

Started with a simple piano melody in Logic Pro. Harmonized with some chord extensions in the left hand. Layered sounds and fleshed out the arrangement with SpitFire BBC Symphony (Horns, Strings, and Woodwinds).

Exported loops into Maschine where I chopped them up and added some drums. Recorded some live bass and guitar on top.

Brought it all back into Logic for final mix/fx/arrangement. Saturation, Compression, and Mid-Side EQ to finish off the arrangement.

Let me know what you all think!

Cheers,

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
Hey All,

Between work and travel, I haven't had much time for music.

Carved out the day for myself today, and came up with a short, but sweet, chill beat.

Started with a simple piano melody in Logic Pro. Harmonized with some chord extensions in the left hand. Layered sounds and fleshed out the arrangement with SpitFire BBC Symphony (Horns, Strings, and Woodwinds).

Exported loops into Maschine where I chopped them up and added some drums. Recorded some live bass and guitar on top.

Brought it all back into Logic for final mix/fx/arrangement. Saturation, Compression, and Mid-Side EQ to finish off the arrangement.

Let me know what you all think!

Cheers,

The piano and the chops work well. For me personally the drums are lacking excitement.

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Thanks for the feedback @Kane the MOD.

Admittedly, drums are typically my weak point. I'll usually program a simple groove to write to, but then get stuck on how to liven them up. Additionally, I'm very wary of them either being TOO loud or out of place compared to the other elements in the song.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
Thanks for the feedback @Kane the MOD.

Admittedly, drums are typically my weak point. I'll usually program a simple groove to write to, but then get stuck on how to liven them up. Additionally, I'm very wary of them either being TOO loud or out of place compared to the other elements in the song.
It is good to know what your weak points are. I suggest you to work with dumloops.

When it comes to mixing levels I feel your snare needs to hit a LOT harder as the melody has not a lot of tension. If your melody is super gritty you can get away with almost no drums.

members online