Chillout - Acid Jazz

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Anyone else out there feelin' this kinda music? I'm starting to really get into this shit. Real smooth with some hard beats sometimes. I can't name any artists yet 'cause I'm new to this style, so if any of you can point me in the right direction....

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Not 'traditional' acid jazz, but Portishead and Massive Attack sometimes got lumped in with the genre for using slow and dirty beats and laid back music.

Nick

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've heard of Massive Attack, but not their music.

I remember a friend of mine a few years back tried to get me into Portishead. It's some dope shit though! But yeah, it's not directly "acid jazz".

M

mbiafb

for awhile they lumped anything instrumental that wasn't kenny G type shit as "Acid Jazz" . i used to be into Acid jazz when i was on the east coast. they had a lot of clubs for it. the music ranged from stuff like Brand new heavies on the commercial end to all kinds of undergorund stuff, including a lot of underground hip-hop. I was feeling hip-hop influenced acts like Massive attack and Portsihead too. Portisheads beats sounded kind of like Rza with musical training. Both albums are classics. i still listen to a lot of chillout ( the latest marketing buzzword' they are using.

If you get a chance, get the dub version of Massive Attack's Protection album. It was done by the Mad porfessor and is called "no protection".

members online