Choosing instruments

-JG-

ill o.g.
What are some of the rules you guys follow for choosing instruments/sounds to use? Is there a reason why some instruments sound better together than others? Does it have something to do with the frequency range of each instrument so that the full spectrum is used? Let me know, thanks.

C

Carpe Diem

jus go with ya ear man....there aint no right or wrong answer, just wateva sounds good to u...

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if u approach the creative from the scientific u'll only go so far and it is unlikely u will develop ur own sound.

there are no rule for choosing sounds just go with what sounds good to u.

M

mikemusic

I normally choose my sounds depending on the type of beat/song I'm working with. Every genre has its "sound". For instance, you wouldn't typically hear a tuba in an R&B ballad, but you WOULD hear an electric piano and smooth pads. You wouldn't typically hear a clap in a classical piece, but you WOULD hear a timpani. Down south crunk music is typically 808 drum intense. My point is, sit back and think "what type of beat/song am I making?" and start there.

Hope that helps.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just choose intruments and sample stuff till they fit the image of the track that you have in your head [ I don't know if most people work like this, but I normally do...I usually already have the sound I want in my head, its just a case of using the right instruments and patterns, filtering and processing stuff or finding the right samples to create it].

Most of the time it's quite obvious when instruments or samples don't sound nice together.

S

sezwho ?

jg if this is something you want to learn more on there are alot of books looking on classical orchestration. they have tips on layering strings winds brass etc. it is a good approach that can help you develop your ears. also remember that different synths and acoustic instruments sound better in different registers

I

icelizarrd

A little of it does have to do with frequency ranges.. if you have a ton of instruments clogging up certain frequencies, it's (probably) going to sound a lot less pleasant than a track which has sounds spread out evenly through the entire spread of frequencies. Though, you change this by playing the instrument in higher or lower registers.

Other than that, it's really about personal preference... try a variety of different instruments, trying intentionally to make a pleasing combination until you figure out what you like.

Reading about orchestral instrumentation may help too, as reccomended above.

ill o.g.
icelizarrd said:
A little of it does have to do with frequency ranges.. if you have a ton of instruments clogging up certain frequencies, it's (probably) going to sound a lot less pleasant than a track which has sounds spread out evenly through the entire spread of frequencies. Though, you change this by playing the instrument in higher or lower registers.

Yea. I got a couple combos of certain instruments that always sound dope together.

You really just gotta experiment to find out.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Definately know what you mean there - but at times it's pretty cool to put stuff that you wouldn't normally hear or expect together, as sometimes you get some really interesting sound - I've found a few a mix of ethnic samples which you wouldn't normally throw together suit eachother surprisingly well.

As pretty much everyone, and myself, pointed out earlier in the thread thereare no 'rules' as such just go by ear.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Man, thats the name of the game! - Experiment!!!.......Jus try what fits yer mood that yer in at that moment would be my best advice....dont get hung up on what people say u should sound like, or what u think a typical rap beat should sound like, shit, thats how fools start soundin like other cats anyways....Jus go with the flow and feel it out...........Biggest thing is, if this is new to you - dont expect it to be a perfected artform from the git, trust me its not happening.....It takes time to find yer tru sound and what feels organic to u, whatever u do - dont rush it, just keep at it. Fuck what heard about this dude or that dude that mastered his shit the day he started!....Shit takes time to sharpen yer skills in anything. - Dont believe the hype.

But once again, IF yer beginning - try and not focus sooo much on what sounds are so critical as to rather try and start defining what yer sound is to begin with....Try and find those magic formulas that work for u so well with whatever equipment setup u have and then after that start focusing on that particular sound u want.....Trust me, things will almost fall into yer lap naturally at that point, becuase by then u will kno yer gear in and out and at that point - skys the limir, yer really only problem then is thinking of something u want to make since u got all the tools in front of ya.

STEEZ

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
that's happened a few times to me....

Kanye - the Good The Bad And The Ugly
Juelz Santana - Okay Okay
Fat Joe, Joe Budden, Joe - Not Your Average Joe

I had flipped all the samples used in these tracks before I ever heard them. I actually like to think that my version of the Okay Okay sample and the Kanye track are better than their versions. I seriously do. The speeds are different, and in that Kanye one, mine is chopped up way more than his and I used lots of different stabs.....Anyways, I say, USE IT....But don't start goin around searching for the samples these guys used and then flip the beat. If you were digging and found it, not knowing it was used then go for it....

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Start off with any sound (melody) that seems right to your ear... then find a new instrument in a higher or lower octave that fits right, and so on and so forth if you have to... like the key word has been "experiment", yeah your stuff might sound a bit crappy for a while but things will drastically change... and when they do you will have found your own sound hopefully... the best instrument is the one the ear approves of... and if your ear can't help... nothing can...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
shit dont matter, eventually it's down to the eq's ( or LP/BP/HP filter )to get things harmonized, envelopes to make it sound authentic. Then they blend in and do miracles.

Indeed experiment, and if you're on the hardware tip...

Dont be a goon and buy the whole yamaha, korg or roland. Diversify and get as much as different oems in your setup so the shit dont sound alike and all shit sounds good if your console, audio interface and monitors are dope. So old shit, new shit dont matter, as long as one is way different than the other synth you can make a contrast so you stick out from the rest...

soulkontrola

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
mikemusic said:
I normally choose my sounds depending on the type of beat/song I'm working with. Every genre has its "sound". For instance, you wouldn't typically hear a tuba in an R&B ballad, but you WOULD hear an electric piano and smooth pads. You wouldn't typically hear a clap in a classical piece, but you WOULD hear a timpani. Down south crunk music is typically 808 drum intense. My point is, sit back and think "what type of beat/song am I making?" and start there.

Hope that helps.

thats how u set your self apart from the others u do what not normally done. in no one puts tubas in r&B put one in and make that shit hot. go aginst the grain. thats what its all about.