Chopping on mpc1K: No Sample Layering??

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
JJOS 4.79
* i am updating to current OS1 (4.99j) as I type this.

I recently began chopping within the 1k and noticed that if I take a loop, chop it up, and save program that I cannot overlap samples, or it mutes out the first one. When I chop samples through Recycle and then create the program through Bluebox I do not have this issue.

Biggest problem with this is using Hi-Hats.. If I chop a loop and add kick and snare and then punch in hats from the same program of chops then it completely mutes the kick and snare until I delete the hats. This also happens when I use the same chopped program in a different track, forcing me to use multiple programs for samples that land in the same region as the original (ie hats, perc, ect).

I'm originally recording the sample from vinyl in Audition at these specs:

Bit rate: 705 kbps
Sample size: 16 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio sample rate: 44 kHz
Audio format: PCM

I have also tried it with these specs:

Bit rate: 1411 kbps
Sample size: 16 bit
Channels: 2 (stereo)
Audio sample rate: 44 kHz
Audio format: PCM

I think that the problem might be that the Sample size or Bit rate are not correct, but so far no luck. Any Help is Appreciated!!

Thanks

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Check the poly mono and you need to make sure that no mute group or mute taregt exsists by looking on the Mode->program->param page.
Otherwise the only thing I can thinik of is that you have some other long sample in there that is cutting them off.
You shoud always be recording drum sounds on individual trax though.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Thanks guys! I believe the problem might be that the individual sample is poly, even though I saved off one version in mono before I brought it to the 1k, so I need to look further into that. I saved it off as mono before I brought it to the 1k to chop but I forgot that the mpc might be saving the chops as a poly. I bet that's it, I remember I had this problem once with drums, once I saved the sample off as mono it was fine, but that time I was chopping in recycle and using bluebox to pgm it.

Also, I'll make sure to check on the no mute group or mute target feature.

Thanks Guys, it's so much better to chop in the hardware :)

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
I think all samples and pads default to poly.
If you get too many sounds playing at once it will start cutting them off.
Makes you have to be creative to keep it from doing that.
But then of course once you go to track it out individually into say PT, whatever you had in there to cut off the sound will no longer trigger because your track is solo'd!
This makes you have to do it manually in PT or find some other way to get it to trigger by putting the cut off switch to a sound in the actual track itself (Hmmm I just sorta problem solved that while typing this). lol

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
When you create a program from the slice screen, the program sets up as mono by default. You need to go into GPE (Shift + pad 11) and go in the top right corner and change it to poly.

JustRipe

Analog Architect
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
Check the poly mono and you need to make sure that no mute group or mute taregt exsists by looking on the Mode->program->param page.
Otherwise the only thing I can thinik of is that you have some other long sample in there that is cutting them off.
You shoud always be recording drum sounds on individual trax though.

what do u mean by indevidual tracks, as i am having somewhat the same issue.... i set the entire "play" to mono so all of my samples will cut each other off, but i do not want my drums to do so because obviously it will cut off each other and whatever i recorded last will be playing. sorry if this is a dumb question but ive only had my mpc for a few days and idk what u mean by indevidual tracks..
i really wana know how to make my samples cut each other off no matter what pad they are assigned too, but i want my drums to be able to overlap so i can layer and have real sounding drums or whatever...
if u can help id appreciate it..

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
By individual trax I mean literally you have mulitple tracks , on a pattern screen there the third line down on the left you will see,
Tr:01- (unused)

That is your first track, when you program something to it it will say
Tr:01- Track 01
If you highlight that 01 and turn the knob you will see it change to
Tr:02- (unused)
Now you can record something to track 2
You will come with your own style, for example purposes I say put kix on Tr:01 snares on Tr:02 high hats on Tr:03 and so on and so on.
Thats what I mean by different tracks.
The mpc has 64 tracks in a pattern, but I think even with upgraded RAM sounds would be cutting each other off if you used all 64 in a pattern.

If you want samples to cut each other off, thats what mute groups are for, you assgin everything you want to cut each other off to say mute group one.
So if you have pads A1-4 asigned to mute group 1 then all those pads will cut each other off.

Hope that helps.