chopping up samples

2infamouz

Mad Beats, No Angry Vegetables
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
whats the best program to chop samples up in?
i used to to use Cool Edit but i dont have it anymore and cant find it. looking for a replacement. Edison or FL slicer are str8 but im lookin for something with hotkeys to make it a faster process like cool edit had...used to be able to hit shift+] to end in a perfect loop n not have to use my mouse n drag till i find it...lAzy<

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I use wavosaur to chop samples. Easy to use, lightweight and portable. It even support VSTs.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Edison,slicex, and of course Recycle are the most user friendly ones that still have a lot of features imo. They all have those "hot keys for the lazy" , u just gotta spend some time with the manuals. But, also imo, get rid of that laziness and manually do your own chops.

2infamouz

ill o.g.
Edison,slicex, and of course Recycle are the most user friendly ones that still have a lot of features imo. They all have those "hot keys for the lazy" , u just gotta spend some time with the manuals. But, also imo, get rid of that laziness and manually do your own chops.

lol, really i just like everything to go as fast as possible. theres only 24 hrs n a day, i never feel like im being productive enough... i mean if the hotkeys wont grab what im looking for ill do it manually but why fk around when something can happen instantly

2infamouz

ill o.g.
i make composition beats normally im just lookin to replace cool edit for when i do wanna chop somethin up...

LP*

ILLIEN
Slicex will chop a selected part up for you, but im not sure about hot keys I just usually do it manually, sorry I couldnt be of more help.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I'm an Edison fan, I like SliceX as well but Edison does the job for me...I just highlight the section, set my Autochop to medium and tweak my chops from there - no hotkeys required =).

SliceX is a beast though, the 'Dump Score' feature is as close to using a hotkey as it gets...check this vid @ 3:35.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
i'm an edison fan, i like slicex as well but edison does the job for me...i just highlight the section, set my autochop to medium and tweak my chops from there - no hotkeys required =).

Slicex is a beast though, the 'dump score' feature is as close to using a hotkey as it gets...check this vid @ 3:35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1msazbf5y

edison/ fl studio fan +1

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
I tend to avoid autochops.
i wish the programs could spot trends and note my preferences...
The auto chops always slice on time even if the music is a little off, never helps in isolating hits or loops, imo
Maybe I just never used it right, but, when you spent years dialing in by ear with a rotary knob, a mouse and a full screen waveform is dope...
To your question, I chose soundforge over cool edit, and after years of dedication to sf, edison stole my heart...
Another votefor edison, if you havent given it a good try, do it.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
In edison, right click on the autochop button and it will open options for autochopping. I usually leave mine on medium and either adjust my markers manually or delete them if I dont need them. I feel like there should be a step in between dull and medium because dull chopping doesn't chop enough and medium chops too much. We won't even discuss fine chopping...I cant even imagine what that would be good for...lol.