Classic oldies!

hobgoblin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hi Guys,

I'm predominantly a hip hop/R&B dj but due to the hostlie climate surrounding 'urban' music here in Birmingham (UK) clubs & bars (in particular) seem to be gravitating towards dJ's playing old school funk/soul etc like Gwen McCrae "ALL THIS LOVE THAT I'M GIVIN '' Fatback band 'Roses are red' Luther Vandross 'Never too much' etc alongside more contempory stuff alot more than they used to. (you used to be able to drop heavy hip hop and bashment and there would be no trouble - that aint the cae no more....)

Problem is my knowlage of these kinds of records is quite limited so I'm lookin for suggestions from any of you who know more about this genre. I'm not really after ultra rare expensive breaks etc - more like the tunes that will go down really well in a nice club/bar.
Anything from lets say Gladys Knight & the pips era to Early ninties R&B like Bobby brown/New Edition etc

I used to see this as a compromise but i got bills to pay and mouths to feed...

So who knows they shit?!

T

The Bastard

I Know New Edition Is From Roxbury Massachusttes, Thats Gangsta

DJ Increment

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hows it bro...?did you mean roses are red by Mac Band....dam havent heard that one for awhile ... hey how bout Big Fun by the Gap Band or Riccochet by BB&Q Band even just the way i like it by SOS Band....also try....joy&pain by Donna Allen,its your turn by Delegation,i feel for you by Chaka khan,wonnt talk about it by Beats International,brooklyn queens by 3rd Bass,Contribution by Mica paris featuring RAKIM,ghetto heaven by The Family Stand,dont push it by Ruth Joy....just to name a few & if you wanted you could throw in a little Zapp.. a touch of jazz[ play ya kind of ruff pt 2],Earth Wind & fire..in the stone..optimistic by Sounds of Blackness,or was it Venessa Williams?? any ways bro !!down town by Lillo Thomas,depending on your direction you could chuck in ..let the music play by Shannon!!!if the timing was right!!!! ,heaps of gems out there ...but that should get ya started ....& im glad i could help out on that stuff!!!have a good one!!!!!

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
Frankie Beverly & Maze - Before I Let You Go!!!! Its almost impossible to lose with that joint in the club.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Agreed on the Maze
Also
All night Long - mary Jane Girls
Risin to the top - Kenny Burke
Jamaica Funk - ?
Encore - Cheryl Lynn
Outstanding - Gap Band
Roll sKate - Vaughn Mason
Just a Touch - Slave
Plus all of the breaks records, ulitmate breaks and beats type joints, ton of great stuff on thsoe...
EZ

members online