Clipping above my mixing IQ

Yep. Now that I'm re-thinking it, I will do it on a beat with fewer tracks and keep some clean track and just use the reamped one parallel.
But that snare will run through that fuzz ! :D
It probably will sound better before than after, but I need to learn my way through cubase, don't I ? That will be a good exercise anyway.
sounds like fun too, might learn a great technique that could be used more subtly

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
I was curious about your question but I'm too unfamiliar with Ableton to know for sure... But I came accross this video

It seems to be about your issue. At 1'20'' guy says the volume running to your EQ is pre-fader. Looking at your background grey area it looks clipping and if it's pre-fader it is normal your channel VUmetre remains green because it is then lowered by 10db...
View attachment 5414
Your bounce/render/freeze function is pre-fader... so you can't trust your channel VU, that's why the tiny VU metres on the sides of your EQ are for I guess.

thanks for taking time and explaining this to me...i have to devote some time and look into this...it is more clear to me now thanks to you iron keys and 2good. I appreciate it

crosstevsky

beats architect
Did you try it out btw?? Was it a gain staging issue or that shit persisting?
yea i ended up switching the kick sample..:confusedphones:i think its gain staging issue...i've noticed my mistake today...i'm starting the beat with very low volume on my headphones(thinking about hearing loss and all that) and after a while i get carried away...the volume is not enough, and instead reaching for the volume knob i turnnup gains and faders...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Yeah man. Glad ..ahem... the advice could help.

You can chuck a meter at the end point of your insert chain to view the levels of the signal before it hits fader. That way you know what's going on with it and whether to turn it down and where.

yea i ended up switching the kick sample..:confusedphones:i think its gain staging issue...i've noticed my mistake today...i'm starting the beat with very low volume on my headphones(thinking about hearing loss and all that) and after a while i get carried away...the volume is not enough, and instead reaching for the volume knob i turnnup gains and faders...
ahhhh, it happens to the best of us, i always have to start taking everything back a few db once I get going and cant stop the master bus peaking.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Ok, so I did the reamping experience this morning... I can post it if you're interested but nothing unexpected came out :
- Reamping kills the bass of any signal.
- Mid-focused instrument can benefit some of that lo-fi quality that it adds but beware of resonant frequencies.
- It might improve your kick and bass when used in parallel to add some grit.
- Lightly adding the reamped signals in parallel to clean signals can improve a dull mix.

My opinion : it is very time consuming and it's nothing you can't do with vst plugins, so unless you want to learn the ins and outs of routing in your new daw, forget it.

Ok, so I did the reamping experience this morning... I can post it if you're interested but nothing unexpected came out :
- Reamping kills the bass of any signal.
- Mid-focused instrument can benefit some of that lo-fi quality that it adds but beware of resonant frequencies.
- It might improve your kick and bass when used in parallel to add some grit.
- Lightly adding the reamped signals in parallel to clean signals can improve a dull mix.

My opinion : it is very time consuming and it's nothing you can't do with vst plugins, so unless you want to learn the ins and outs of routing in your new daw, forget it.
I appreciate the efforts to take the time to do this experiment and posting your results.

Yeah..but i might use the idea of using vst amps in parallel...sending certain stuff in a separate bus called "dirt" :)
i often do that with sub basses, add a dirty track in parallel to give the sub a bit more presence in the higher frequencies, sometimes on kicks too

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
@Iron Keys i didnt vote for yours as an attempt to correct my mistake...but i want to mention that i enjoyed your beat very much...simpe, but highly effective...i can easily imagine rapper over it...

Brooo thanks! :up2:
I was actually bugging a bit 'cause it didn't even get mention and i see it as far better than my beat that got praise last week.

The best thing about your feedback there is that it is exactly what i was going for!

Love for that :up2:

crosstevsky

beats architect
Brooo thanks! :up2:
I was actually bugging a bit 'cause it didn't even get mention and i see it as far better than my beat that got praise last week.

The best thing about your feedback there is that it is exactly what i was going for!

Love for that :up2:
no problem man, that beat was really good(only not battle worthy)...i like to make beats like that myself....drums,bass and one melody line....if you can pull that off, you're good...

members online