Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I think FabFilter and Flux both make really responsive and useful compressor/limiter plugs. Waves is greats stuff too, but theres tons of viable options out there. I even just copped this really inexpensive compressor plug a while back by a company called Cytomic, the plug is called The Glue. That thing kicks ass! Seriously. I think understanding compression/limiting is really the first step otherwise no compressor is gonna be useful to your workflow.

The key to proper compression is pre-weighting your uncompressed mix and then applying multi-pass compression. Never overwork a single compressor, unless you make glitch or techno, where this is used as an effect.
I agree. I think this is a personal taste approach at using compression but I whole heartedly find this more useful as well. I learned this by trial and error starting out. I used to just aggressively hit stuff with one compressor if I wanted the sound to be that smashed, but it always resulted in too much be taken away from the track, then I discovered using multiple compressors in various gain stages and that really changed things entirely for me.......Now combine that technique with parallel compression and you got a winner IMO. *Bussing to subgroups is really useful too for further compression.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I think FabFilter and Flux both make really responsive and useful compressor/limiter plugs....

Highly recommended!! I dont use waves anymore

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
"I haven't found anything better as of yet!"

I have not found anything better per se, but the SSL stuff in Record is absolutely just as good!
Yeah Im intrigued now, I wanna try that puppy out!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ha ha I tested it against the waves, they sounded different of course because props modeled a different SSL counsel family than the waves stuff. I have mixed about four records for other bands using pretty much only the waves stuff in Pro tools. As far as quality goes the Props stuff is just as good, it sounds just a little different thats all.

and yup I do love props.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Which Waves did you use in your test...the Restoration Bundle or the SSL 4000? The Restoration Bundle can't be touched, it was even voted #1 for ProTools over Digidesigns Smack. The SSL 4000 is a beast too. I think Im just partial to Waves, something about their solid state logic sounds soooo damn good!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
For vocals...definitely use that Eddie Kramer joint...that shit is FIRE...

But that solid state logic sound.......Mmmmmm delicious....

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Dude Eddie Kramer is so funny, he endorses all those plugins like API, SSL but he doesn't use them. It so so freakin funny, he could not even tell the difference between the two plugins on the screen. And he said "yea I mix on an SSL console"

at any rate his "signature" plugins do sound great.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259