compression masters outthere?

O

open mind

basicaly my question is what needs to be compressed? sum say only the drums kick snare hihat.sum say just the kick and sum say every fucking instrument/channel need compression
sum say the whole master channel needs compression iam confused.now i wanna know from mixing/compression masters

what needs to be compressed? thank you very much in advance.

Soo DyNaMeK

ill o.g.
Hey bigrob I am def not a master but from what I learn in school it depends on what genre and what sound ur going for. I ask that smae question myself cause compressor raises and lowwers the volume of a singal via ratio. If ur using the whole spectrum of the dynamic range than the less u need a compressor. CAn anyone help?

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
...I'm def. not a compression master..but...

I rarely compress much. I'll compress vocals when necessary... but nothing else should really have any unwanted jumps in range.

I mean unless we're talkin live performances, changing velocity..etc. is as simple as the spin of a dial or a click of hte mouse... Or simply repeating the performance, the most I'm doing is 8 bars...and I normally only do 4 bar loops.

O

open mind

from what i understand a compressor makes the quite parts louder of a sound and prevents jumping in the meters.so why should i use one mainly on kicks snare etc. I WANT MY ****** drums JUMPING UP N DOWN U KNOW for that bounce feel. but i read everywhere that drums needs compression for a tight sound but i really dont understand it anyone can explain it better ?

i dont like the quite parts of a kick they sound **** so why should i compress it?

thanks in advance.

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well the ratio and the attack and release of the compression has a lot to do with it to i beleive, so it's not just amplifying ALL the lows, it has to do with other things, compression is definetly something i need really read about so i can master it, i have noticed that you can work wonders beyond EQ with multi-band compression, i just need to think about all the doors that would open for me if i really took time to fully understand compression ratios and attack and release and how it affects the sound. as for the actual question on hand, i usually only compress my drums, and it does change the sound, so i think it's all a preference thing, but mainly you want to compress your drums so that they sound as loud as possible to your ears but they are "quieter" on hte levels, you know? you hear more of it, so you can get the same apparent volume of a compressed kick hittin at -3 dB as like an uncompressed drum that's clipping and shit.

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
If u listen to any professional recording there is some sort of compression going on.....Compressing the drums makes the drums tighten up and sound real sharp...

On my tracks i have all my channels compressed to different perameters.... drums, bass, wind, brass, reed, samples, etc...

For the bass, compression would help let say the very low ends of your bass lines might be too low to hear so compressing would bring that low end and give it some thickness in sound to be able to hear it more clear...

compressing just makes your whole mix a whole lot cleaner sounding and much more sharp sounding.....

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I dont use compression on every track. Compression is used to shape the volume and It can be used to give more thump to your drums. Simply put, what it actually does is to quickly lower the volum of your instrument (that's what you want your compressor to do if you wanty thump...) Of you put a attack time of, let's say 20 ms, the sound will be unchanged for that 20 ms. After, depending on the ratio and threshold, the sound will drop. That 1st loud part is your thump, actually. Then you want you sound to come back to it's normal volume... that's the release (around 200 ms or 0,2 s). I usually have a ratio around 6:1 (but it goes anywhere from 4:1 to 8:1)

Also, overall, using compresssion will help you to have a song that is louder... by lowering the volume... sounds wierd, huh? Well, actually, you can use the compression to give thump, as I just stated, but actually, it's more commonly used to have less dynamics.

Example, lets say you have a Vocal sample. The sample is real nice but the singer sings loud on some parts and real low on others... Since you'd want those lower parts to be heard, you'd raise the volume of that sample, but then the loud parts would be too loud, right... that's where the compressor is usefull. You can actually ask the compressor to have a loud volume in some parts and to lower the volume of the sample when it's too loud. That way, and doing so, the difference between the louder and the softer parts of the song will be smaller and you can now play that sample louder...

That's a drafty explanation so you can have an idea of the usefullness of a compressor... actually, I think it's the most important effect with the EQ...

When you've mastered the compressor, you'll see a huge difference in your mix... try to reseach the forum, compression is a subject that was debated a couple of times already... the forum is full of infos on the setting for each instruments and all that good stuff!

O

open mind

sYgMa said:
I dont use compression on every track. Compression is used to shape the volume and It can be used to give more thump to your drums. Simply put, what it actually does is to quickly lower the volum of your instrument (that's what you want your compressor to do if you wanty thump...) Of you put a attack time of, let's say 20 ms, the sound will be unchanged for that 20 ms. After, depending on the ratio and threshold, the sound will drop. That 1st loud part is your thump, actually. Then you want you sound to come back to it's normal volume... that's the release (around 200 ms or 0,2 s). I usually have a ratio around 6:1 (but it goes anywhere from 4:1 to 8:1)

Also, overall, using compresssion will help you to have a song that is louder... by lowering the volume... sounds wierd, huh? Well, actually, you can use the compression to give thump, as I just stated, but actually, it's more commonly used to have less dynamics.

Example, lets say you have a Vocal sample. The sample is real nice but the singer sings loud on some parts and real low on others... Since you'd want those lower parts to be heard, you'd raise the volume of that sample, but then the loud parts would be too loud, right... that's where the compressor is usefull. You can actually ask the compressor to have a loud volume in some parts and to lower the volume of the sample when it's too loud. That way, and doing so, the difference between the louder and the softer parts of the song will be smaller and you can now play that sample louder...

That's a drafty explanation so you can have an idea of the usefullness of a compressor... actually, I think it's the most important effect with the EQ...

When you've mastered the compressor, you'll see a huge difference in your mix... try to reseach the forum, compression is a subject that was debated a couple of times already... the forum is full of infos on the setting for each instruments and all that good stuff!

wow! thats the first time that i fully understand what a compressor does.thank you very much for the great explanation.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Ther eare a lot of compressors out there , but my favorite one is the GComp from G-VST... I know that the one from the Waves bundle is the one most poeple like, but what I like about the GComp is that it shows you what your wavshape is like before and after compression...

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gcomp.htm

Attachments

• GCompBig.gif
    GCompBig.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 121
O

open mind

sYgMa said:
Ther eare a lot of compressors out there , but my favorite one is the GComp from G-VST... I know that the one from the Waves bundle is the one most poeple like, but what I like about the GComp is that it shows you what your wavshape is like before and after compression...

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gcomp.htm
now thats what i call a PERFECT COMPRESSOR! iam def. gonna check it out.thanks again for being so gentle.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
don't forget eq...a boost in the 100 hz area for your kick drums makes you "feel" them more whereas anything below adds rumble (not always good) and anything above makes you "hear" them more. I usually try to use compression and eq together. What i mean is if i'm compressing 4 things, i'm going to subtract the frequencies that i don't need so that i can boost or leave them in something else that needs those frequencies. when i have that many things compressed they have to fit together like puzzle pieces, not a bunch of clutter in a pile.

C

Carpe Diem

I send all my drum channels through an EQ and Compressor... I also use a compressor on the whle track...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
^^^^Really? I dont know about that one, could you explain what you mean by that? Cuz, to me, you compress depending on the your personal preference and the dynamics of the volume... if you want to change the dynamics, you use a compressor, and that's for any kind of sound, in front or in the back...

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Again I must point to this article

http://prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/8A133F52D0FD71AB86256C2E005DAF1C

Good music has dynamics, compression can be used to either remove the dynamics or color the sound. Thats why you hear about the "SSL" sound, they use it for coloration. Compression is simply a useful tool to solve a problem but I have heard it ruin many albums. You really need to study and understand compression.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Yeah... adding too much compression can cut the dymamics of a beat... and some people use too much of it. You can actually hear and see when a beat is too compressed. (I don't have a specific beat/album in mind... anyone?)

Nuff B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i usually use compression on sound that need a boost or while im mastering. when u compress something in its lamest terms all it does is give it a limit, or take it past it. it really gives u a control with the velocity of any sound.