compression the inz n outz

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
wassup yall... are there any headz out there that know alot about compression?.... anyone that knows shit about it knows there is alot to know... i have a basic understanding... and pretty much just like with anything, i let my ears decide what sounds better.... i got this rack version dbx compressor/.gate (266XL) ... its pretty fuckin dope... i use it for almost anything i mic..(live percussion mostly shakers, claps, etc)... a shitload of horns, flutes, bass, and vocals ... i've done alot of online research and have copied some plugin settings from other sick producers and engineers... but anyone got some good understanding for settings for say threshold and ratio mostly... i usually have a pretty faast attcack and slow realease... and then more mid way attack and release if i want to tone it down a bit4 for less of a compression sound.... but for say vocals, drums, and bass... whats peoples general ratio and threshold settings>>>> any thoughts or knowledge on compression would be cool too... i didnt bother searching the threads, it just crossed my mind... think ill do that now... but this is a long post... so ill post it now... thanks in advance... peace

gram green

A

ACEBEATZ

Compression Setting

gram green said:
wassup yall... are there any headz out there that know alot about compression?.... anyone that knows shit about it knows there is alot to know... i have a basic understanding... and pretty much just like with anything, i let my ears decide what sounds better.... i got this rack version dbx compressor/.gate (266XL) ... its pretty fuckin dope... i use it for almost anything i mic..(live percussion mostly shakers, claps, etc)... a shitload of horns, flutes, bass, and vocals ... i've done alot of online research and have copied some plugin settings from other sick producers and engineers... but anyone got some good understanding for settings for say threshold and ratio mostly... i usually have a pretty faast attcack and slow realease... and then more mid way attack and release if i want to tone it down a bit4 for less of a compression sound.... but for say vocals, drums, and bass... whats peoples general ratio and threshold settings>>>> any thoughts or knowledge on compression would be cool too... i didnt bother searching the threads, it just crossed my mind... think ill do that now... but this is a long post... so ill post it now... thanks in advance... peace

gram green

Wassup Gram Green,

You gotta nice compressor there, it's a good model that is used since a while ago for stage and studio. I got an alesis 3630 and your model is a notch above mine. It compress a lil better. Treshold is the level where you comp begin to work, usually for rap vocal dont go above -10 and not below -30, Ratio is the amount of reducing when the signal reach your treshold, a 4:1 to 6:1 is good for rap vocals. an attack of 50 ms is fast enough while not cutting the attack of the signal too much, and try a release of 500 ms. You know wut it do when you compress a lot? This kinda pumping action on sound? This is not good, and this is a sign of someone that doesnt know wut he do with his compressor. A good compression should not be apparent a lot on vocal, keeping the signal the most natural you can. But soon as a producer begin to know compression, he can tell you if there is some applied to a signal. To adjust your compression well, use your bypass button, to hear from time to time while tweaking those knobs the difference between process and original sound.

Holla Ace (www.acebeatz.com)