Congrats Hip Hop! Lil Wayne is no longer a rapper...

• beat this! voting starts in...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
NObody on thi

NObody on thiS site comparing him to those guys...but dude definatly is talented...I got love for all the paperless emcees that can VIBE out records...anybody can sit down and take an hour to write a sixteen with crazy multis...i mean shit, just look at all the rap forums full of those kinds of rappers...buddy consistantly drops hits...

Now do i buy his albums? Call him a great lyricist? Goto his shows? Heeeeeeeeeell fuck no...but Im also not bias against "commercial" hip hop either...what them boys eat dont make me shit.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
NObody on thiS site comparing him to those guys...but dude definatly is talented...I got love for all the paperless emcees that can VIBE out records...anybody can sit down and take an hour to write a sixteen with crazy multis...i mean shit, just look at all the rap forums full of those kinds of rappers...buddy consistantly drops hits...

Now do i buy his albums? Call him a great lyricist? Goto his shows? Heeeeeeeeeell fuck no...but Im also not bias against "commercial" hip hop either...what them boys eat dont make me shit.

I agree 100%

There are some crazy talented MCs out there... But...can they put together HITS...

The divide between putting together a dope song and putting together a HIT is getting wider....The only ones really doing both putting out dope songs that are also hits are Em....and Jay-Z, of course. I don't really see anyone putting together dope lyrical records that are also hits right now...

I love hip-hop... But I would do what it takes in this game to make money off of it.....Staying true to yourself is awesome...getting paid well for your music is even better...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Not knocking anyones choice to like or dislike, but Im still trying to figure out why people hate this dude but still cares what he does...lol. Must be one of those love/hate relationship type perspectives. I don't get it! Like him or not, dude stays at the top of the charts and is living a financial life that we could only wish for.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Of course Lil Wayne is a different kind of rap music, and he's doing his thing, yes. But to say he's talented is insane. You're getting talent mixed up with hustling. Is he good at what HE does? Absolutely. Is his music good? Hell no (unless you're into that).

It's been like this for years where a no-talent person puts out top-selling albums and works his/her ass off, but that doesn't mean their music is good.

Can a lot of rappers learn from Lil Wayne when it comes to hustling in the industry? Yes. Just like Lil Wayne can learn a lot from someone like Supernatural when it comes to rhyming.

The main argument is that people always get the different styles of rap music mixed up. Years ago you would have all the styles played together on the radio, now all you hear is the mainstream stuff. Yes, there's tons of great music out there, but I just cannot say that Lil Wayne is one of them.

Sucio, I hear what you're saying about making hits and money, I can appreciate that for sure. But if it means becoming a puppet to the industry then hell no. I always think back to guys like MC Hammer who was huge, then fell off, then became Hammer and was dressed all gangsta cause that was the trend, then he fell off even more.

If Wayne wants to make tons of cash, fine. But he better save it, cause his gimmick will only last so long. I can see Rakim performing at 50 but not Wayne, lol.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't think a guy who came up on an indie label (waaaaaay before that was the thing to do) and who's has been rappin since he was 12 is a creation of any thing else but a young man's love for the mic...

I was watching this Talib interview where he was speaking on the "backlash" he got from some of fans because of the gucci man record...his whole response was that just cause he create a certain brand of hip hop doesn't mean that he expects or even wants others to create that same brand...you have to follow your soul...he went on to say that it's through an appreciation of the artistic process that he links with guys like gucci, cause at the end of the day they are both emcees vibin and ridin out on a beat.

Taste is completely subjective...I get that...but you gotta respect the guys who do it big cause...well...they do it BIG. That's all I'm sayin

If Wayne wants to make tons of cash, fine. But he better save it, cause his gimmick will only last so long. I can see Rakim performing at 50 but not Wayne, lol.

His um gimmick as you call it has been riding out since 1999 brother...

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Slow week on the board eh? lolol

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Lil Wayne is just out for the checks...a lot of his music is not Hip Hop...it's mainly pop and rap with a rock/techno feel to it. If cats is striving for his level of success you cant be making hip hop that booms and bap like most of us at this site do it... But I'm one of them old school heads so my thoughts and opinions could be considered to be somewhat "outdated" and "out of touch".

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
It's a cycle....we've become our parents....

When you make music for yourself and make music your friends enjoy, that's one thing... But when you're out there making music to make MONEY, it's a different story..... I heard Ace Hood rap outside of the records he's done and he's actually pretty good... You'll never hear that anywhere on the mainstream, because no body wants to hear that....

You can dislike their music, but at least appreciate the hustle. I would never call anyone on this site a hater, because I know they speak from an artist's standpoint.

What people deem as talented is subjective too...I think to be able to maintain a steady stream of hits a talent in itself...

I would never buy a Lil Wayne album......But if I had to make music for him, I most certainly would. And with this divide and separation with hip-hop is the reason why it's not as big as it really could be..

You can't blame him for rapping the way he does..because if he changed that, he wouldn't be himself, either.

If Biggie was still alive, hip-hop wouldn't be like it was in 1997.....it would be something completely different......shit...it could actually be worse....there's not many dope artists that are coming out of NY (making it in the game, not just nice MCs)....

BIggie, Big L & Tupac were so well loved because they brought something different to the table..these artists nowadays bring something different to the table...just look @ Wiz Khalifa.....we may or may not like it...but it is what it is...these people are carrying the torch for hip-hop...

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Hip-hop has changed, the industry has greatly changed. As quoted by Large Pro from an old Vice magazine I have:

"I think the impact of that Main Source album was so great because I was not in any way tainted by the industry"

Then his solo LP was shelved and so was his hip-hop career afterwards. The hip-hop current moves fast, if you don't catch the right waves, you're fucked. I don't like Lil Wayne, but he's playing the game right... but in comparing musical talent to someone like Large Pro, they come from a very different time and place in music, I'd rather listen to Large Pro, but that's from the era of hip-hop I lived through.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
waka flocka has the #1 mixtape on livemixtapes.com right now... do I care that he's not a lyricist? Hell no, because my artist has 5 features on it. You have to sell out to an extent to make a good living. IMO, the Carter/Carter II were great albums.

Big Bad Wolf

ill o.g.
People who dont really listen to rap music trip me out. Like today i was trainin a new dude at work (i work at arbys) and me and him were talkin. I told him i go to USC and i produce music. He was like oh cool u listen to rap? I was like of course i produce hip hop music. And then he said oh u like lil wayne? *Sigh drops head* haha He's asian by the way lol

Soundclick.com/thabigbadwolf

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I don't think him being Asian had anything to do with it...

but yeah... 10 years ago, you would've been asked if you liked Jay-Z... But Lil Wayne is that dude right now....

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
People in general automatically associate rap with lil wayne and even though most of us here can't stand him, they think of lil wayne as being the face of rap right now. Which imo proves that mainstream rap is still alive but it's limited to commercial "rappers".

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I used to be a wayne fan in the hot boyz days and I stop vibin to his tunes when juve eithered him for making that 500 Degreez album...But in the past year, being able to put his wierdness, baby mouth kissing crap aside I realized that he really is a great EMCEE...in every sense the word