Contacting Publications for features, interviews etc.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
I recently spent a good part of an hour mailing different local publications, trying to maximize me being voted 2nd best hip-hop artist in the city. Afterwards it occurred to me that there may be a specific way to "secure" a feature or interview in the way you approach them Initially.

Is there a way to talk to these guys, at least the first time, to assure they'll even consider you, much less read your mail. From the emails "Subject", to the tone/speech in the body of the messege?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Pming...

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
The best advice I ever got when I was trying to do the same for my band was to give the paper (website, tv station, etc.) a reason to want to write the story. No one really cares if you want to get in the paper. They want readers (viewers etc.). So you have to provide them with an angle on things. Why are you where you are today? What kind of upbringing did you have that might have made you unique? What are some cool things that people don't know about you? Always try to keep their perspective in mind and you'll have a much better chance at landing press.

H

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
The best advice I ever got when I was trying to do the same for my band was to give the paper (website, tv station, etc.) a reason to want to write the story. No one really cares if you want to get in the paper. They want readers (viewers etc.). So you have to provide them with an angle on things. Why are you where you are today? What kind of upbringing did you have that might have made you unique? What are some cool things that people don't know about you? Always try to keep their perspective in mind and you'll have a much better chance at landing press.

H

right, the whole perspective thing sounds like it'll be the most important

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Its' more psychology and the basics of networking skills than anything else, including your music. By pyschology, I am referring to establishing "social proof", which I define as validation from people other than yourself that you and your movement is hot.

I receive thousands of press kits, emails, bios, and halfway prepared sales pitches from publicists, promo companies, and up and coming artists every year. Believe me when I say that its less about actual talent or quality music than at any other point in music history.

It's a small world behind-the-scenes. I either know someone who is cool with or know personally most of the bloggers that make up the entertainment industry. You have to first understand the mindstate of today's music "journalist". Once you get that, you'll have a lot more success.

In the DC/MD/VA region, you have two super solid examples that I want you to research and possibly contact.

1.) Mullyman (Baltimore). Never had a record deal but has had the most mainstream press coverage by any artist including his videos in rotation on MTV 2 and other outlets. There's a method to his success. I won't give you the answer, your job is to figure out how.

2.) Wordsmith (Baltimore). Very disciplined artist with a solid understanding of the digital game. Gets lots of writeups, radio interviews and more. If every artist approached the game like he does, labels would have to shift their business model.

Also, read this entire post that is listed below. LOTS of good info that touches on your question.

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22009&highlight=shadeed

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
*Gets to work*