containing/maintaining replay value/crisp in production

4108sv

ill o.g.
Have you noticed some songs have production that doesnt really get old? Or doesnt get old as fast as opposed to something like "Lean Wit It Rock Wit It"? Why is that? Is it because the song's production isnt following a trend(that can/will get played out eventually)/is universal? Or does it have to do with how "warm" a mix/master of the production is? Help me out and give me your critism

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Well compare a classic track to "lean wit it Rock wit it" lets say the classic track is "Still Dre" for example. the beat is strong the lyrics are catchy and the song is produced extreamly well, now Lean wit it will only play until your "leaned out" or "rocked out" so it gets extreamly annoying because the lyrics have no guts its a bunch of words that rhyme and mesh together for a shitty song. besides the fact that the beat is extreamly simple and aimed to draw attention for a split minute but as soon as you hear the lyric's you're reminded "oh Yeah this SH!t sux"

no offense if you like dem fran' boyz' but they really aint hip hop to me.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As far as production goes and what you can do in the actual track it has to do with the "live factor". Songs on TRL and such nowadays can get old fast because they are mostly overprocessed and lack a very important thing called dynamics. Your ears can get tired of certain sounds and such or constantly repeating things.

What can you do to avoid this? Learn to play your drums first of all. Instead of highlighting bars on a drum machine map the sounds out on your keys and set velocity on each key. Now play the drums live and you have done something much different. The velocities on the sounds should correspond with the volume and now instead of hearing a constant snare or kick slapping at the same volume throughout the whole song you have them hitting at different volumes which is easier on the ears. Over quantizing can also kill a mix, as well as overcompression which happens in a lot of productions these days.

And going with the lean with it vs still dre tracks try listening to the instrumentals and you'll notice a big difference for example dre adds sounds late in the song that don't repeat through the whole thing whereas a lot of club songs these days are VERY short looped beats.

Key word - Dynamics.