Converting MP3's

• beat this! voting starts in...

1st Official

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
I do alot of sampling from cd's but recently I started downloading mp3's from ********, and I'm just wondering if I can convert the Mp3 files to wav or aiff so i can import them into pro tools. I keep having to burn them onto cds, but that just feels like a waste.

thanks
1st Official

1st Official

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 75
Thats what I do too, but I rather not have to keep burning cd's. I was actually able to load mp3 files into pro tools...I swear i tried before and it didn't work. must have been spacing out. Thanks for all the help though.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Here's what you do in pro tools. Go to import audio under the file tab.
Choose file (wav, aiff, mp3, whatever). Hit done or ok. It takes a minute
depending on how long your file is. Presto. Converted to a new track
automatically. Then you can bounce to wav, aiff, or back to mp3 if you're
weird.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1st Official said:
I do alot of sampling from cd's but recently I started downloading mp3's from ********, and I'm just wondering if I can convert the Mp3 files to wav or aiff so i can import them into pro tools. I keep having to burn them onto cds, but that just feels like a waste.

thanks
1st Official

You can but you're not getting the same quality you do if you take it straight from CD or Vinyl to WAV. It's like making a copy of anything...a second copy (in this case your wav) can only be equal to or lesser than the quality of the original. mp3ing, especially if its not at a bit rate over 260, really ruins the sound of a whole lot of potential samples and instruments.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Pro Tools SAYS you have to buy the mp3 option, BUT... it's always worked for me to import mp3s into my session. I think the mp3 option is only for exporting to mp3s and not importing to a track.

Have you tried that yet? Just go to "import audio" or "import audio to track" and it should work.

mp3s suck by the way, in case you didn't know. I would advise you to use vinyl or the actual CD to sample from. If you want to make a rough version of something first, just import the mp3 sample, chop it up, make the beat around it, and THEN either buy the vinyl or CD later and do it that way.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I had to buy the mp3 export in order to make it work. I'm using an old version of le though.

E

Equality 7-2521

yeah do it in a wave editor but man i would never work with mp3. the quality is terrible compared to wave. and converting an mp3 back to wave doesnt make it any better. mp3 is lossy compression.